cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 4 , 4.4.2 Upgrade , 3G/2G toggle as calls not connecting on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know of a way to toggle 3G/2G on a Nexus 4 that has been upgraded to Android 4.4.2. I used to be able to switch between network types easily but it just shows 3G preferred now.

I need to enable 2G at home as the 3G signal drops so low that I do not get calls, this is happening more regularly on the handset and is all now happening at work.

On the train today the 3g signal was sitting at -101db according to the network signal app, I could not make calls, get a data connection and rather than switching to GSM I lost all signal.

I have accessed the test menu and toggled between 'WCDMA Preferred' and 'GSM' to try and get round this but it's not a neat solution to the issue.

O2 Chat support have kindly had me factory reset my handset and are sending a new SIM to try and alleviate the issue of calls not connecting when I have a signal, but I'm not hopeful of the new sim resolving this issue so need a toggle workaround

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found another thread which has some advise from O2 in it:

Links to O2 forum thread

What's happened to my 2G switch?
We've made a change on some devices on our network to make sure they will always connect to the fastest part of our network, including 4G where available. This means you will always get the best data experience possible when you use your phone.

But I locked my phone to 2G because I could make calls. What do I do?
We’d recommend using TU Go, an app that lets you make calls over Wi-Fi for the price of a normal voice call. TU Go is great for people who have signal issues but strong Wi-Fi and is a free download in all the major app stores.

Did you do this because you have a poor network?
No. We want our customers to have the best data experience when using their phone to get online so are making sure phones will always connect to the fastest part of our network.
Message 21 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my Orange SIM today and can confirm that the 2G / 3G toggle is still available, I can confirm as well that their 3G signal actually works and I can make/receive calls and use the data network.

I read the other day that Ofcom have given O2 until 2017 to fix their 3g network to provide outdoor coverage to 99% of the UK population, the Q then is if they can't have a decent 3G network by 2014 why are they trying to push 4G

Looks like it's so long O2 it's been nice knowing you.....

Message 22 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Sadly this kind of decision appears to be made by someone with zero knowledge of how mobile phones and networks actually work. It's as if they gave a project to a YTS to do !!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
What a stupid idea! Who'd have thought people might actually have to make a phone call these days on a mobile network!

Bright ideas club coming up with a cracker again then!

P.s the move to make data faster is to make you use the allowance up quicker therefore having to purchase bolt ons!
Message 24 of 24