cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 4 , 4.4.2 Upgrade , 3G/2G toggle as calls not connecting on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know of a way to toggle 3G/2G on a Nexus 4 that has been upgraded to Android 4.4.2. I used to be able to switch between network types easily but it just shows 3G preferred now.

I need to enable 2G at home as the 3G signal drops so low that I do not get calls, this is happening more regularly on the handset and is all now happening at work.

On the train today the 3g signal was sitting at -101db according to the network signal app, I could not make calls, get a data connection and rather than switching to GSM I lost all signal.

I have accessed the test menu and toggled between 'WCDMA Preferred' and 'GSM' to try and get round this but it's not a neat solution to the issue.

O2 Chat support have kindly had me factory reset my handset and are sending a new SIM to try and alleviate the issue of calls not connecting when I have a signal, but I'm not hopeful of the new sim resolving this issue so need a toggle workaround

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
O2 have made that decision. If you put an O2 sim in you don't get 2g only option. If you put another network sim in (even a GG one) you get the 2g option back. The settings are been forced from the sim card. Tested and proven.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
There are 2g/3g toggle apps on play which may help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I tried one and it made no difference for me, but it doesn't stop the phone switching to 2G so not a problem.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
I'm guessing it's gonna need rooting then....
Message 4 of 24

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've been having some issues with 2G/3G dropping out for a few days although it doesn't happen everywhere. So it might be a transmitter problem.

Anyway, the LG 4.4 update is scheduled for March of this year. So I hope that doesn't mean  two months delay between other networks. The battery life is actually quite good, so maybe a slight tweak on that and less customisation would be good.

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 5 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@anticpated this is the 4.4 update and the phone being locked to a choice of 3G only, so 2G switching is gone.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I still have the option of 2g/3g on my nexus 4 using other networks, I think this is an O2 decision?

Message 7 of 24

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually I still have the option of 2g/3g on my nexus 4 using other networks, I think this is an O2 decision?

It is.... We asked why but never got an answer  ?

Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback / updates, if this is indeed an O2 decision they have rendered my phone unusable, I wonder if they will let me leave my contract then 🙂

Until then I'm stuck with the test mode, which is fine in areas where I know the switching doesn't work, but can leave me missing calls when I don't know there is an issue/low signal.

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 wouldn't make that decision. Because the UK is so far behind the rest of the world network wise we it's pretty much only a few countries that need the 2g only option.

you can change it in the service menu I believe which can be accessed by dialing either

*#0*#

or

*#301279#

You'd have to do this to change it every time unfortunately
Message 10 of 24