Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant Home WIFI Connection

sallye1973
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just purchased a Sony Xperia Sp. Everything is fine, apart from the phone keeps disconnecting from my Home Router. Keeps saying 'Not in range' or 'Obtaining IP Address' whilst I am sat in the same room. Any ideas????

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I have the same phone and I can confirm wifi range is rubbish when compared directly to my Samsung S3 and a recent HTC One Mini that I reviewed. I'm waiting for a software update as I'm not allowed to root my SP 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This could be a problem with this model:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-SP/Xperia-SP-WIFI-range-ISSUE/td-p/315784/page/17

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try resetting your home router and or change the frequency wireless channel in the routers settings.

And you could try forgetting the wifi connection in your phones settings and reset it back up.
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I have the same phone and I can confirm wifi range is rubbish when compared directly to my Samsung S3 and a recent HTC One Mini that I reviewed. I'm waiting for a software update as I'm not allowed to root my SP 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone shed some light on how this problem was solved? Or have I completely missed something?

For the record I have an Xperia SP and am experiencing not only the WiFi problems, but dropped calls and blank screens when the standby button is pressed. This handset had potential to be brilliant but it's just so unreliable, I want to return it but there's no point as I'll just end up with another SP which will have the same problems. The annoying thing is the sales team that sold me the phone knew about all these problems but neglected to mention them to me (no surprise as they are salesman after all...). When I first complained about these faults in store I was told a software update should sort the WiFi out. 3 months later and I'm still waiting and using a phone which is quite clearly unfit for purpose. 

Anyone want to lend me 180 quid...

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
4.3 due anytime now.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So an update will sort it out? I'm pretty sure I've been told this before the last update came out, and here we all are (well certainly myself anyway) in the same boat
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I've no idea but as Sony are well aware of the problem we'd be hoping for an improvement.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

kernowman
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have WiFi problems with my Z1 as well

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's common on Sony phones - Something to do with their power management of the WiFi.
There are fixes for rooted phones but nothing from Sony yet for all others.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10