Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei p20 pro current security update

xSALEMx
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, can anyone else with a p20 pro what Google security update they have installed? My phone is saying the current security patch was installed December 2018, obviously this is a bit concerning. I've tried contacting O2 via twitter and they don't seem to want to know. Many thanks in advance
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@xSALEMx 

Did you obtain the phone as part of an O2 contract?

Message 2 of 5

Ste_A
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Mine was the same so contacted O2 via twitter. They confirmed that they had approved an update the 20th May and now it's up to Huawei to push the update to the phones. Prior to this the last update sent from Huawei to O2 for approval was back in December. This is apprently due to the fact that the UK networks insist on checking and approving all updates. If we had the EU version (C432) rather than the C782 UK version we would have received several security updates and the phone would still work perfectly on any UK network.

I got fed up waiting so updated mine yesterday via my PC with the HiSuite software. It would'nt update the 'normal' way, I had to hack the software and change the DNS settings on my router to force the update. The details of how to do this are on the XDA forums. It worked perfectly and I'm now on software version 9.0.0.255(C782E3R1P9) with the April security patch (still out of date). This is the official version that O2 have approved.

Some people have managed to update to a newer version which works but doesn't pass all the SafetyNet checks. Once this is fully approved by google you can update to it months before O2 will approve it. 

O2 need to understand their customers aren't happy with these delays. The security patches should be issued monthly. Google provide Huawei & others with monthly security patches (for now at least) and Huawei push them out each month to all phones unless it's on a UK network in which case the UK network checks it over for a month or two, approves it and then it can take up to another month for your phone to receive the now out of date update.  Crazy system, if I'd known this I would have tried harder to get the EU version.

Message 3 of 5

Ste_A
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Using the XDA forums method I've managed to update to firmware version: 9.0.0.286 (C782E3R1P9) and now have the 5th May security patch so way ahead of the 9.0.0.255 O2 version with the 1st April security patch.

This version is approved for this model of phone but not from O2. I would really like to know why O2 haven't approved this version. I can see on Firmware Finder that these are issued monthly for the UK C782 version but the networks only approve them between every 3-6 months.

Also firmware 9.0.0.295 is now listed but not approved just yet. As soon as it's approved I will update to it because it has the June security patch, I'm sure O2 will release this in December.

Just to note everything appears to work including banking apps, NFC payment and PayPal card reader for card payments. 

I am NOT suggesting anyone else try this as there's always a risk attached in doing so. I am doing this because I want up to date security patches and some other small software bug fixes.

Message 4 of 5

Ste_A
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just manually updated to firmware 9.0.0.295 (C782E3R1P9) which includes the June security patch via FirmwareFinder (app on the phone) and HiSuite on the PC. 

Proves that Huawei are updating the UK version of the P20 Pro. So is it a case of Huawei going to all the effort of producing up to date software and for some reason not passing onto the UK networks or the UK networks receive it but don't bother with it and just blame Huawei? Would love to know what's happening here!Screenshot_20190613_103326.jpg

Message 5 of 5