cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

StevenGW
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just contacted O2 technical, it seems that even though the Huawei phones will be no longer fit for purpose as the were sold for convered by UK Consumer Law and warranty, that O2 will not honour the warranty. I just had a live chat with O2 representive who refused to honour my UK warranty.

[Removed chat transcript]

of course the rep cut me off

Message 51 of 97

CBrine
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have just taken out a contract for a p30 on 24th April after a cold call from O2. Given that they must have been aware that this withdrawal of services was a possibility I am annoyed that they still rang to sell me this phone. I will be contacting them to find out where I stand but fear I may end up tied into a phone which will now have multiple flaws.
Message 52 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino if we are for discussing terms and conditions can you state where it says on o2s terms that your phone can be allowed to be blocked from any form of updates, and security updates which are essential to the functioning of a phone well within its warranty period, consumer rights states an item you purchased can not be changed or altered from the state in which you purchased it which is now quite clearly the case

just a question here btw if this happened to a phone you owned that is not even 6 months old would you just accept it and continue to pay payments on the remainder of a 3 year contract on a now redundant phone?

Message 53 of 97

StevenGW
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino if we are for discussing terms and conditions can you state where it says on o2s terms that your phone can be allowed to be blocked from any form of updates, and security updates which are essential to the functioning of a phone well within its warranty period, consumer rights states an item you purchased can not be changed or altered from the state in which you purchased it which is now quite clearly the case.

Brilliant retort.. Its seems O2 are going to do exactly that..

Does anyone know if I can now close my contract? 

Message 54 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions
@Daryld1988 Well, as Google have said they WILL be providing updates for existing phones, I don't see what your point is?
And as I also said, speak to customer service. I'm not defending O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 55 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino app updates and google play protect updates which helps minimise malware in the playstore itself they have not stated that the android security updates will be continuing which is were the concern lies as it is what patches vulnerabilities in the android operating system as a whole, the other side to this is the phone cannot update its software to a newer version of android without having to remove google play store and all google apps such as youtube and gmail moving forward which again isnt the phone we originally paid for, the situation is similar to windows xp in which it had its support ended by no longer receiving critical security updates which meant any kind of internet use on a device running said software was open to attack this isnt the phone we paid for especially a 6 month old phone no matter if this isnt o2s fault or not they still have to stand over a product they sold themselves to millions of customers

Message 56 of 97

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Bambino No, Google have said that existing phones will not lose access to the Play Store and other Google Services.
For system updates and security patches Huawei must now wait for these to be released into AOSP and then integrate these without support from Google.
This applies to ALL Huawei phones, past, present and future.
This effectively means that existing Huawei updates will stop receiving updates that are critical to security in a timely manner, if at all.
Message 58 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie O2 have started offering a canned reply on Twitter (wrongly) informing customers that nothing will change and that they are monitoring the situation.

I suspect this will lead to a full statement later that boils down to... tough luck!
Message 59 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions
@Daryld1988 @Peter247 You're whistling in the wind here. Take it up with O2 customer service. Take it up with Huawei. Take it up with Google.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 60 of 97