cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

O2 called me a few weeks ago to upgrade a few months early from my S8 to a P30 Pro. I was tempted as it was a good offer and I had a Huawei made Nexus 6P before and it was great. I declined as I want to go back to stock Android and am waiting to see what the Pixel 4 offers.

So glad I didn't take up the offer as I'd be sitting with a great phone that while works would not get any major updates.

Message 21 of 97

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
There was an update to say that current phones will still have access to the Play store and the security therein (apps are scanned as safe) so not completely disconnected from Google...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 22 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes but they won't have early access to Android security updates or system updates until they're available as part of AOSP which means existing Huawei devices will fall behind.
Additionally Google will not be helping Huawei with updates and support so it's unlikely Huawei will push any updates along quickly.
Whilst Play Store access remaining is useful the security features only work against malicious apps, not over types of attacks.
Message 23 of 97

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
There was an update to say that current phones will still have access to the Play store and the security therein (apps are scanned as safe) so not completely disconnected from Google...

That will be for the current version of Android. Don't think the P30 Pro will be getting Android Q. That makes the phones essentially obsolete after the first 6 months and if you have a three year contract that's a long time until you get a phone with the latest software.

Message 24 of 97

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Does it make them obsolete?
They still work (as a phone).
They can still download and install apps.
The only thing that won't happen (officially) is that they won't get OS updates.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 25 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Not really the point.
Considering the amount of money people pay for these devices and especially for those locked into a contract it's a reasonable expectation that you will receive updates for the duration of said contract.
Consider if something like Heartbleed comes around again which presented major data risks to lots of Open Source projects including Android, Google promptly pushed out an update that Huawei devices will no longer receive.
Generally it's accepted with Android that phones from the major manufacturers get at least one and usually two major version upgrades. This will no longer happen meaning users may not be able to take advantage of new features that their devices are fully capable of supporting.
Message 26 of 97

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Does it make them obsolete?
They still work (as a phone).
They can still download and install apps.
The only thing that won't happen (officially) is that they won't get OS updates.

For a low to mid priced phone then, no, it wouldn't be obsolete but for a flagship on the cutting edge not recieving major OS updates does make it obsolete.

And another thing the P30 Pro has bootloader unlock disabled so if you decided to install a custom ROM because you're no longer getting OS updates, you can't.

Message 27 of 97

IanProudfoot
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I guess I'll be saying goodbye to my P30 Pro. I'm still inside the 14 day period, so I think the only sensible thing to do is return it. Such a shame it's a fantastic phone and the camera is amazing!

Message 28 of 97

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@IanProudfoot wrote:

I guess I'll be saying goodbye to my P30 Pro. I'm still inside the 14 day period, so I think the only sensible thing to do is return it. Such a shame it's a fantastic phone and the camera is amazing!

I'd recommend anyone still within the 14 days do exactly that too.

The phones will be worthless in 6 months time and extremely difficult to sell on at anytime now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 97

aerowave
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Totally agree - for a device like the Mate 20 Pro this is unacceptable. Especially less than a year into it's lifetime and Android Q on the horizon. Seriously devalues the phone should I try to sell it in the future.

I'm pretty annoyed about this ordeal, especially as I'm in the UK, not the US!

Also echoing what Peter247 said:

Considering the amount of money people pay for these devices and especially for those locked into a contract it's a reasonable expectation that you will receive updates for the duration of said contract.

Message 30 of 97