cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

SteffTJ
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No Google apps in future phones is a death sentence, I feel. Yes you can still put them there by sideloading but can you imagine a sales person having to explain that to the average customer?
Message 11 of 97

Caff
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
As a family of Huawei phone owners tied in at the start of contracts we are very concerned.
Message 12 of 97

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Caff wrote:
As a family of Huawei phone owners tied in at the start of contracts we are very concerned.

As would I be.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 97

Anonymous
Not applicable
What a great move (not)
Message 14 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It's highly unlikely that O2, nor indeed any company who sells this brand of phone will offer any compensation to anyone who already owns one. They will all say the phones were sold in good faith, and no one could have seen this situation coming in advance.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 97

TheEdge
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Pretty concerned about this, especially given my 14 day cooling off period finished a few days ago. 

Am I now doomed to two years paying £60 a month for an unsupported brick with most of the apps I use disabled?

Starting to wish I'd just bought my fourth Xperia in a row...

Message 16 of 97

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions
Unfortunately i think you are, as this isn't down to o2 or Huawei, but a panicky US Government who have decreed that Huawei are a risk to national security, and have leaned on Google to remove access.

I agree with @Bambino, i very much doubt any network will offer compensation, as this is nothing to do with them, its between the governments of the US and China.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 17 of 97

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Huawei very tempting 🤔

I had made up my mind to buy a new mobile from Samsung a well known and tested manufacturer already independently having previously bought other equipment from Samsung. Also Samsung having a shop in town for a hands on look, next door to O2.

I didn't need another phone but Microsoft is withdrawing support from end of this year. Nothing I could do about that.

Huawei were very competitive offering very good value for money got to say very tempting.

No one could foresee this event and it goes to show how a decision across the pond can hurt the innocent.
Perhaps they may support already purchased and running phones. I hope so.

Best of luck to everyone with a Hauwei and hope it'll work through for a good outcome eventually.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I would have thought the Consumer Rights Act would cover this for a refund or contract cancellation?
Or at least a warranty claim as it's unreasonable for the device to stop receiving updates if it's less than a year old, particularly security updates etc.
Message 19 of 97

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Good thought @Peter247

This is very interesting as the phone is working perfectly.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 20 of 97