cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have O2 stopped charging emoticons as MMS??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know from previous experience that O2 were charging a text as MMS if you added an emoticon but I've sent a few texts with emoticons in the last few days and they've come up as normal text without the usual MMS underneath the message. If I add a photo then it is charged and comes up with MMS underneath (as expected). I've logged into my app also to check if I've been charged but I've only been charged for the one with the photo added. Anyone know for sure before I go crazy daft sending emoticons to all and sundry lol

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They still charge depending on phone and character count. I can send them on both my Notes as long as the character count is less than 160. The smilies on my phones count as 90 characters for the first one but bizarrely adding others then only count as one character each. I can send a short message of around 60 characters and add up to 10 smilies and it will still go as a sms.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They still charge depending on phone and character count. I can send them on both my Notes as long as the character count is less than 160. The smilies on my phones count as 90 characters for the first one but bizarrely adding others then only count as one character each. I can send a short message of around 60 characters and add up to 10 smilies and it will still go as a sms.

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting! Thanks for that. I have an S4 so will keep an eye on the character count and see if the same applies to me Thanks!

Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To confirm I recently put this to the test (purely to do a character count)....and its the FIRST smiley that takes more characters (90) Every other smilie/emoticon counted as 1...

So as long as the total message is below 160 it wont cost a thing...(This is using my Note 3)

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's with using the proper emoticons on the keyboard, not the in app ugly critters Grumpy

Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have just tried it.........first emoticon I lose 92 characters then subsequent ones I lose 2 characters per emoticon Fantastic

Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

That's with using the proper emoticons on the keyboard, not the in app ugly critters Grumpy

I never use those anyway.....my 'test' involved using those on the keyboard.

I would also imagine this is phone dependant....I was using a Samsung phone. Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Have just tried it.........first emoticon I lose 92 characters then subsequent ones I lose 2 characters per emoticon Fantastic

What phone are you using @Anonymous? (As it does appear to be slightly different on each phone)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cleoriff I'm Samsung too.............Galaxy S4
Message 9 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
It's similar on my Moto G 4G I'm not sure of the character count though as I still cannot find it on this phone.

I'll do a text on the Xperia now as well!
Message 10 of 18