cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have O2 stopped charging emoticons as MMS??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know from previous experience that O2 were charging a text as MMS if you added an emoticon but I've sent a few texts with emoticons in the last few days and they've come up as normal text without the usual MMS underneath the message. If I add a photo then it is charged and comes up with MMS underneath (as expected). I've logged into my app also to check if I've been charged but I've only been charged for the one with the photo added. Anyone know for sure before I go crazy daft sending emoticons to all and sundry lol

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Ok, first emoticon uses 67characters then 2 per emoticon after that! I never use them as a rule, but it's handy to know just in case.
Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122924 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

There you go then...slightly different on each phone. Though the common factor is the first emoticon uses the most characters and those thereafter use one or two. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you wrote your message and before sending, went back and deleted the FIRST emoticon...Whistle

I know, I know....but it's my logical brain cells working  LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

jonsie
  • 93230 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 13 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

There you go then...slightly different on each phone. Though the common factor is the first emoticon uses the most characters and those thereafter use one or two. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you wrote your message and before sending, went back and deleted the FIRST emoticon...Whistle

I know, I know....but it's my logical brain cells working  LOL

Hahaha, now guess what I'm dying to do? LOL

Message 14 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122924 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

You can always trust a woman to over complicate and confuse things Rolleys

Oi...stop being so rude you LOL

I was only thinking 'out of the box'....even though I realise that logically.... if you did that test, the second emoticon would probably jump to being the first.....Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for that. I have an S4 so will keep an eye on the character count and see if the same applies to me Thanks!

Glad the community could help @@Anonymous!

Message 16 of 18

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

On HTC ..first emoticon 90 and 2 for each one thereafter x

N.b..only tells me if it converts to mms if I add a photo

giphy-3
Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
All covered here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 18