cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One - Lousy connection via mobile data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgraded from the Desire to the One back in June. Ever since, I've barely been able to use mobile data, and it's essentially just used on wi-fi, making it a bit pointless. I've spoken to O2 via online chat, on the phone and written to them. I've taken it to a shop, and all anyone can do is check the internet settings, which is the first thing I did when I got the phone. I've also had a new SIM, but the problem is still the same. However, it works fine with the missus' EE SIM in there, at all times. My missus has the same phone, and has zero problems, at any time of the day. Wish I'd have taken my number and gone to EE, instead of upgrading.

The internet works fine okay in the morning, maybe until around 10:00am, and then it just doesn't work at all. I can't load anything. It won't even download pictures in MMS messages. It's been this way every day since June. 10:00am onwards - No mobile data. The arrows flash at the top of the screen, and the E/H/G/3G etc are always there, but websites don't load properly, messenger doesn't send or recieve messages...

I feel I've exhausted all options. I'm pretty certain I'm going to just bin my SIM and buy an EE or Three SIM and use it as PAYG. I'd rather not lose my number though, as I've had it for 11 years, but I'm fed up of having a phone that I should be able to access the internet with on the go, but can't.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

May be rare, but if you are paying for a service and that service is not being provided then the supplier is in breach of contract, that is grounds for cancellation.

Sorry that is wrong, have a read of your contract. there is no guarantee of a continuous service for mobile services.

They are provided on a "best efforts" basis, as it's a radio signal and can never be guaranteed.

From the terms that you agreed to:

3. The Services we supply and what you can expect of us – Our services aren’t available everywhere in the UK. They’re not fault free, and speed and quality, for example, can be affected by things like the thickness of the walls of the building you’re in, atmospheric conditions, technical issues with the network and the number of people near you trying to access the services at the same time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you replaced the sim by visiting an O2 shop or have one posted to you.

And check the mast status http://status.o2.co.uk by inputting your post code.

Also download the MY NETWORK app which you can use to report the mast amongst other uses
Message 2 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Have you checked to see if there are any mast problems in your area? http://status.o2.co.uk/

OP said in his post he's tried a new sim, bob.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds to me like a mast is getting congested from 10.00am onwards (University?)
If it's been going on since June with no resolution I would escalate to complaints to see if they will release you from your contract FOC and then move to EE (but you won't be able to make any phone calls then) wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd rather not lose my number though, as I've had it for 11 years, but I'm fed up of having a phone that I should be able to access the internet with on the go, but can't.

Asking O2 for your PAC will let you keep the number but it will close your contract when you use it, leaving you with the balance to pay.

MI5's option would be best but I'm not too sure they would let you go free of charge.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

If O2 is not providing you with the service you are paying for then you have grounds to end the contract without penalty - escalate your complaint

Message 6 of 18

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If O2 is not providing you with the service you are paying for then you have grounds to end the contract without penalty - escalate your complaint

A complaint might help but there is no obligation on O2 to cancel a contract for the reason given and it rarely happens.

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

there is no obligation on O2 to cancel a contract for the reason given and it rarely happens.

May be rare, but if you are paying for a service and that service is not being provided then the supplier is in breach of contract, that is grounds for cancellation.

Message 8 of 18

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry that is wrong, have a read of your contract. there is no guarantee of a continuous service for mobile services.

They are provided on a "best efforts" basis, as it's a radio signal and can never be guaranteed.

From the terms that you agreed to:

3. The Services we supply and what you can expect of us – Our services aren’t available everywhere in the UK. They’re not fault free, and speed and quality, for example, can be affected by things like the thickness of the walls of the building you’re in, atmospheric conditions, technical issues with the network and the number of people near you trying to access the services at the same time.

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that perksie, I'll try to be a little better informed before giving advice, although I will say that if the service is lost for a prolonged period you would be at least entitled to compensation?

Message 10 of 18