Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

Well HTC have announced their new flagship, as expected the main selling point is a OIS front facing camera.

It does address some of the shortcomings from the previous iterations such as better battery, better rear camera, and more but I feel it is all too little too late to save HTC. They needed to do something big and bold to make people look up, and I feel this phone just won't deliver.

Plus with the price point expected to be that of the S7 it's a tall ask.

Message 1 of 503
502 REPLIES 502

Simon241
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Regarding cases.

Spigen cases look lovely but they are a minimalist case and provide very little protection.

Phone can quite easily come out of the case unlike the substantial otterbox cases. But they don't do one for the HTC 10

Message 471 of 503

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Well I commend you. I love an open and honest review. There are many published who don't actually list the true faults in case it puts customers off buying one.

What I liked, despite minimal issues, you would still buy again. Well done you.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 472 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Realised I missed something.

As much as I was disappointed in no discernable sound quality with the onboard DAC, what did make the headphone listening experience pleasant was being able to do an audio test to tune your headphones/ears/ phone in together.

That was a great touch then it was let down by just having two modes to choose from to adjust the tone in boomsound.

Even just bog standard, treble, bass and balance would of been better than echoing effects of theatre mode or music mode.

Volume with heaphones on is more than enough for anyone

Message 473 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes it has it's faults as do many phones.

I like the all round package and can live with the shortfalls over other phones.

My biggest disappointment, but it could of been my expectations being too high was the external speakers.

That was the biggest failing for me.

As for the audio through headphones I found out a long time ago to invest in quality headphones or earphones and things improve straight away.

If I am anywhere that I intend to take photos I have a camera to do that.

I appreciate many people use their phone as a one stop shop entertainment system and their focus may be more on one thing than another so they would possibly choose their phone accordingly?

Message 474 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will have a break otherwise I risk waffling.

Plus I need medication lol

Message 475 of 503

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Simon241 wrote:

I will have a break otherwise I risk waffling.

Plus I need medication lol

@Simon241 No worries. It makes a refreshing change from some other phone discussions....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 476 of 503

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi @Simon241. Thanks for your review. I agree with a lot of your points. I also preferred the front facing speakers but it's not a biggie for me. I don't really get the pink tinge, but then my brightness is always high, which is probably why I have to charge it twice a day Smiley Embarassed. My one gripe is probably as you say, the focus of the camera . It does lag a bit and is annoyingly fuzzy if you're in a hurry lol. Other than that I've had no issues with it.. And HTC always performs better than any other make I've had.. And I've had a few lol .  Cases are the biggest problem . Can't get decent ones.. Either very minimalist, or too chunky. I got a lovely dual bumper and quilted back which does give total protection, but makes the phone feel like a brick Smiley Very Happy. Thanks for taking the time to post an honest review wink x

giphy-3
Message 477 of 503

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I also miss the old gallery.. Really not a fan of Google photosSmiley Frustrated though the rest is as close to vanilla android as I've seen . Will probably have a wee look at the new Pixel phone Whistle x

giphy-3
Message 478 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I'm with you on the HTC Gallery @Cairdeas and totally agree with the lag camera.

But apart from the slow start and the slow focus compared with other manufacturers it has some great features and can produce outstanding photographs.

My example I mentioned with the was a close up video of a snail which gave amazing detail and colours but was let down by the pulse effect of the autofocus.

It may of been just a bit too much for the autofocus because of teh close up or the background?

Yes pink tinge only noticed when screen turned down.

As for the case. Even the slimmest phone turns into a brick when you place it in a case.

That is another reason I cannot understand why Apple are trying to get an extra millimetre?

But saying that, I know many iPhone users who do not use cases and that will be why almost everyone has a broken screen Smiley LOL

Message 479 of 503

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Yes this was a proper brick though @Simon241Smiley Very Happy I'm back to the clear Spigen case.. Very minimalist tho. I agree about the iPhones ..Whistle x

giphy-3
Message 480 of 503