Did you mean: 

Google Photos

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

Hey folks,

So, due to the disconnect between onedrive and android (ie on windows phone all photos loaded in the photos app from onedrive, but dont on android) I decided to copy all the photos over to google drive. 

This worked in terms of all my photos being accessible in the android photos app like i was used to on the windows photo app... however, not all the pictures were  uploaded due to exceeding the 15GB limit.

I've read up and I was under the impression google offered unlimited storage for photos. Even my oneplus states this in the sync option settings.

Any ideas where i've gone wrong.  I do not wish to pay Microsoft for storage if google will store my photos for free.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Change the quality level of your uploads and it is unlimited, but in high res you are restricted.
Settings >Google >Account preferences

or Open Google photos >Menu >Settings >Back up and sync >Upload size

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
You need to change the settings in Google photos from originalLimit of 15gb ) to high quality (unlimited storage).

Hope this helps
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Change the quality level of your uploads and it is unlimited, but in high res you are restricted.
Settings >Google >Account preferences

or Open Google photos >Menu >Settings >Back up and sync >Upload size

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Slushpuppy1 wrote:
You need to change the settings in Google photos from originalLimit of 15gb ) to high quality (unlimited storage).

Hope this helps

That is definitely your issue @Curr946

Message 4 of 16

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Thanks guys, so are you saying i need to move all my photos to my phone to be able to upload to google drive under this unlimited setting? Seems extreme. All i did was copy the picture folder from my one drive folder to my google drive folder using the pc.
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Once you set the upload res on the phone it will always upload to that setting from any device.
I'd reset the res then delete all photos and upload them again.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Thanks guys, so are you saying i need to move all my photos to my phone to be able to upload to google drive under this unlimited setting? Seems extreme. All i did was copy the picture folder from my one drive folder to my google drive folder using the pc.

Presumably you uploaded them at full resolution. Google photos  works very well once you make the change.

Message 7 of 16

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Interesting, I was not aware of this one! Good tip for those who are wondering the same thing. Cheers

Message 8 of 16

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Thanks folks,

I was getting the google drive app on my pc mixed up with the google photos app. I've downloaded the photo uploader and have set it up to use the unlimited storage. slight_smile

You guys know these questions will keep coming while I settle into my new surroundings grin
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Thanks folks,

I was getting the google drive app on my pc mixed up with the google photos app. I've downloaded the photo uploader and have set it up to use the unlimited storage. slight_smile

You guys know these questions will keep coming while I settle into my new surroundings grin

Image result for homer simpson photos

No problem, any questions there is always someone here. slight_smile

Message 10 of 16