Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 Mobile data issue

Rolfd
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, I've just upgraded from an iPhone on a sim only plan to a new plan with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Every time I leave home and move from WiFi the phone refuses to automatically connect to mobile data. I can make calls no problem but the symbol for 4g or 5g doesn't appear and I get no connection to the internet. If I toggle aeroplane mode on then off it will kick 5g or 4g in and it works for a short time then disconnects again. I've tried resetting my network settings on the handset but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue may be?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149536 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Rolfd 

If you had iData on your account for when using an iPhone, you need to ask O2 to remove it and revert you to standard data.

Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 I've had the data bolt on and WiFi calling for Android added by the people on the online chat. I'll see if that resolves the issue!

Message 3 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, so having online chat turn on mobile data and wifi calling for an Android device hasn't fixed the problem. So far I've reset network settings, loaded the recovery menu and delete the cache partition and tried just about anything that has been suggested by others who posted that they had this problem. 

What I've noticed is if I disconnect WiFi or move away from home the phone will not automatically connect to mobile data on my o2 sim. If I change setting to use my Virgin sim the mobile data comes on straight away, change back to O2 and the mobile data doesn't kick in. The only way to get O2 data working is to toggle aeroplane mode on/off or restart the phone.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I initiate a return of the handset under the 14 day policy?

Message 4 of 36

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24007 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

@Rolfd I wouldn't rely on Live Chat to do anything correctly. Either contact O2 through the social media links or call customer service on  0344 809 0202, 0800 902 0217 or 0800 032 1402
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149536 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Rolfd 

I'll ask @O2Emma to take a look at your account settings for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 36

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I don't have a solution I'm afraid.  Just sharing that I'm having the same issue and what I've tried (none of which has solved the problem so far).  I've reported all of this to O2 Customer Service but been fobbed off with there being an issue with my local cell site (which I've now had a text saying has been resolved) even though I told them it happened in multiple locations including several hundred miles from home.  I don't believe it is related to WIFI or the phone hardware for reasons I will explain.  In terms of hardware I've had 2 different S23 Ultras and had the same issue with both so I doubt it is "faulty" hardware.  Also I am currently using a Lebara SIM for my mobile data connection and that has no issues including when moving from WIFI to mobile data and back.

I have tried everything from a full factory reset, clearing cache, resetting network settings to getting a brand new SIM (and also trying an eSIM) and nothing changes the outcome.  My non scientific testing suggests to me it related to when my phone moves between cell sites.  If I have a mobile data connection and stay in one place, mobile data will stay connected just fine including when I use WIFI and then turn off WIFI.  But as soon as I move locations then I lose mobile data and I can only force reconnection, as you say, by either flight mode on/off or switching on/off but not just switching between SIMs.

I have never had or used my account with an iPhone so my initial conclusion is either that there is something in the S23 Ultra firmware that doesn't play well with the O2 network (but which doesn't impact a Vodafone/Lebara connection?!) or something in the way our accounts are set up on O2 that is causing an issue.

@O2Emma- any chance someone could look at this please and discount an issue with our accounts?

Thanks

Message 7 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jyloox it's interesting to see that you have almost identical issues. I've managed to get someone on 202 who has sent the query off to a technical team to look at my account and check things from their end. I'll let you know if they come back to me within the 5 days they said it could take.

Message 8 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jyloox Well I got bored waiting for o2 to come back to me with a possible resolution and no mods/staff from here got back to me after @MI5  tagged them, thanks for that by the way, I appreciate the help. The issue still persists so I called 202 and am returning the S23 Ultra and Galaxy Watch 5 Pro. I really liked the phone but the constant toggling of aeroplane mode to get a usable connection was far too much hassle. I missed many notifications, some from my bank due to forgetting to toggle aeroplane mode to get the connection running. 

Message 9 of 36

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to hear you got no help.  I've only used these forums once before and the O2 people were very responsive - could be they're on annual leave given the time of year.  I appreciate that doesn't help you and we shouldn't really have to resort to using this forum to get solutions from O2 of course - customer service should be able to deal with things directly.  I'd probably be in the same boat as you but am just lucky I have the Lebara SIM on a very cheap deal to fall back on for the data side of things. I've seen other reports on the web that others have experienced similar issues so we're definitely not alone! If a solution surfaces I'll post it so that anyone else can see it and/or in case you decide to try again with the S23 Ultra.

Message 10 of 36