Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 Mobile data issue

Rolfd
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, I've just upgraded from an iPhone on a sim only plan to a new plan with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Every time I leave home and move from WiFi the phone refuses to automatically connect to mobile data. I can make calls no problem but the symbol for 4g or 5g doesn't appear and I get no connection to the internet. If I toggle aeroplane mode on then off it will kick 5g or 4g in and it works for a short time then disconnects again. I've tried resetting my network settings on the handset but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue may be?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh no!  Given @Ofelas was having the issue with a different phone and now your experience seems like there is something going on in the O2 network which for some reason is only affecting some of us.  They are apparently going to disconnect and then (4 hours later?!) reconnect my number tomorrow to see if that resets things.  Keeping my fingers crossed and will post if that has the desired effect although will probably be later on Friday by the time I can tell if it has any effect.  I'm travelling after that for a couple of weeks so will see if things are any different when roaming.  (In EU so fortunately Lebara inclusive EU roaming will be the backup!)

Thanks all for your comments by the way.  The more information the better!

Message 21 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Please do let us know if that works so I can request it. Here's hoping!

Message 22 of 36

Ofelas
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you. Please let us know if that works or not! Fingers crossed.

Message 23 of 36

Ofelas
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

How did it go? Any luck?

Samsung UK are claiming they are unaware of any issues and suggested it could be an App causing the problem and to try Safe Mode. I've yet to try it.

LOCAL O2 store staff checked my phone settings and couldn't find anything wrong. Also said they've never heard of the problem.

Message 24 of 36

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, so far so good.  They said they completely disconnected me yesterday morning (message for me was "SIM not provisioned" on my phone) and then reconnected me again 4 hours later.  They called when they said they would and the reconnection happened when they said it would so thumbs up to O2 for this element of customer service.  Since then (3pm Thursday) the data connection has been maintained when I did a trip away from home and when I switch between wifi and mobile data.  I know in theory time shouldn't make any difference and the phone should either maintain the data connection or not when I move around but I was leaving posting any success here until tomorrow when I will have done 2 or 3 more journeys.  It feels like if it keeps working for a day or two it should carry on?!  I have noticed that I have started seeing the 5G connection indicator much more on my O2 SIM than I was previously but that could be a complete coincidence. The O2 support person said they would call me on Saturday to check in.  Assuming the connection remains stable I will ask if they know how that might have helped although I suspect they may not know exactly why what they have done makes a difference.  They said previously the last resort was to disconnect and reconnect the line.

I'll repost tomorrow to advise any news/updates and then we'll see how roaming goes in Europe from Sunday!

Keeping fingers crossed for all of us that this is the permanent solution!

Message 25 of 36

Rolfd
  • 25 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fingers crossed that this will be a permanent fix. I was out today with my iPhone and had to toggle aeroplane mode 5 times.  It’s becoming unusable for me outside any Wi-Fi network as I rely on iMessage and WhatsApp which both use data only! 

Message 26 of 36

Ofelas
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for the update. It sounds promising.

I'm still having the same issues. O2 Data just randomly disconnects.

I've put an EE SIM in slot 2 and that works fine, all the time.

What steps did you take to get O2 to disconnect and reconnect you phone?

Message 27 of 36

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So far mine has been staying connected to mobile data as I have moved around after they disconnected/reconnected on Thursday. O2 haven't got back to me yet to check if all is now OK so nothing to share re why this might work and, of course, just because this seems to have worked for me doesn't of course mean ....

All I did was contact customer services and  explain everything I'd tried and they filled in a report to refer it to their technical team. I got no response for about 10 days so rang again. Seemingly it was only after I rang a second time and the issue was raised again that someone got in touch. (The 2nd customer service person wasn't 100% sure what was done the first timebi had called in so its not impossible it wasn't raised properly and hence why no one got back to me first time around. I think the following time I rang in I got a call back within 24 hours.) They wanted to know, each time I called, what I'd tried and it was only after I explained everything I'd done incl factory reset, network settings reset, clearing cache, new SIM card that the technical guy said the last resort was to disconnect and reconnect. At first they said there were network issues in my local area as well and I had to explain I'd recently been several hundred miles from home and experienced the same issues. (They wanted to know the postcode of where I'd been as it could have been network issues there too apparently!)

Obviously it's pretty inconvenient to be without a phone first 4 hours (and I suspect it needs to be in working hours) but at the moment this seems like the only thing that works.

Still keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't fall over again but good luck to everyone in getting it sorted. Maybe if enough people report issues they will be able to fix whatever it seems to be in the O2 network that is causing the issue?!

Message 28 of 36

Ofelas
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Brilliant. Thanks for the update again. Really useful for me. I'll try them Monday as I a doubt Technical Team work weekends.

If anything changes, please post when you can. It is clearly O2 as my EE SIM is working fine.

Message 29 of 36

jyloox
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hope others on the thread are on their journey to resolve the data issues. I just wanted to confirm that, since o2 disconnected and reconnected me 5 days ago I've had no issues with mobile data and that now includes 2 days in the UK and 3 days while roaming on a few EU networks. I probably won't report again unless I experience any issues or people post questions. (Can't promise I have any answers but I can share my own experience.)

Good luck again everyone!

Message 30 of 36