cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Connect To O2 wifi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I’ve a problem with my Moto G ( +4G ) running Android 4.4.4, connecting to O2 wifi.

The phone just won’t connect to O2 wifi. It was bought in October for my wife and it wouldn’t connect for her - she says it was ok originally for about three weeks then about a week after the update to 4.4.4, it stopped working.

During this time we’ve had two other Anroid phones and an Android tablet working at the same hotspot.

A month ago she got a new phone ( also Android ) and that works fine at the hotspot; I took over her phone and have exactly the same problem. I reset the phone to factory settings when I acquired it and have since tried clearing the system cache - no change.

The phone works fine on my home network and also my sons home network, but not at the O2 hotspot we visit regularly or one other O2 hotspot I’ve tried.

I’m registered with O2 wifi, and this is what happens: I “connect” ok to the hotspot and the company ( Vintage Inns ) logo comes up. After about 30 seconds the rest of the advert comes up and asks me if I want to search the web. When I try to do a search it loops back to the O2 wifi “Connecting to O2 wifi” screen and the whole cycle is repeated.

I’ve also tried de-registering all devices and re-registering the Moto, but it makes no difference.

Any help gratefully received.

Best Regards.

Ian.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for reporting back @Anonymous 

So pleased that worked for you. I hoped it would.. as it did work for Totolo. I wont provide the link again but this was the fix he found for anyone else with the same problem

"What you need to do is un register your phone from your old phone number. As you cant log into www.o2wifi.co.uk and you cant use the app there is a 3rd less known way to do it.

Take your phone into an O2 wifi (not london underground thats Virgin) Hotspot like your local McDonalds. Connect to the wifi and open the browser & you should see the O2 wifi front page - if not connect to the O2 wifi SSID and enter 1.0.0.0 in the URL bar and it will force the browser to the home page of the Hotspot.

Now in the top left it will say "Hello" and your name (or whatever you entered when you signed up). Bellow it is a small link that says "Not you?" If you press this you will see a message thay clicking OK will remove the device from O2 wifi. Press ok and the device will be deleted from O2 wifi. Now if you dont see the sign up page just enter 1.0.0.0 again in the URL bar and you can sign up to O2 wifi on your new phone number".

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We had someone with a similar issue. They found it was an account registration problem which needed to be cleared from O2 and re-registered. Have a look at this thread and see how they solved it...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Wifi-At-London-Underground-Not-able-to-conne...

You may have seen this already ..but its the link about O2 WiFi https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply - I can see how the MAC address would survive all that I've tried to do - I'll try the solution in a day or two and let you know if it worked.

Second thoughts - it occurs to me that if it's possible to get my O2 wifi account cancelled - that would stop the MAC address being registered, wouldn't it? Unless of course O2 wifi "remembers" information from closed accounts!? Is it possible to do this?

Best Regards.

Ian. 

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply - I can see how the MAC address would survive all that I've tried to do - I'll try the solution in a day or two and let you know if it worked.

Second thoughts - it occurs to me that if it's possible to get my O2 wifi account cancelled - that would stop the MAC address being registered, wouldn't it? Unless of course O2 wifi "remembers" information from closed accounts!? Is it possible to do this?

Best Regards.

Ian. 

Not absolutely sure about cancelling your O2 WiFi account as I haven't had the problem myself ....but you can reset your MAC address here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=29&q1=26
or text "wifi" to 2121

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the reply:-

"Okay i know how to fix this but 1st off some advice texting wifi to 2121 was only for openzone and cloud wifi - they are closed."

I saw the above in the link you pointed me at, so I didn't bother to try it. The web form pointed to these two as well.

Best Regards.

Ian.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can now also manage your o2 WiFi from your My O2. Don't know if it will help though?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Again,

The solution by Tofolo_1 in the referenced thread worked.

The key is the MAC address; once that gets associated with the wrong number, you need to close your account via the phone you're wanting to use and then re-join O2 wifi.

Saved the Moto from an early bath.

Best Regards.

Ian

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for reporting back @Anonymous 

So pleased that worked for you. I hoped it would.. as it did work for Totolo. I wont provide the link again but this was the fix he found for anyone else with the same problem

"What you need to do is un register your phone from your old phone number. As you cant log into www.o2wifi.co.uk and you cant use the app there is a 3rd less known way to do it.

Take your phone into an O2 wifi (not london underground thats Virgin) Hotspot like your local McDonalds. Connect to the wifi and open the browser & you should see the O2 wifi front page - if not connect to the O2 wifi SSID and enter 1.0.0.0 in the URL bar and it will force the browser to the home page of the Hotspot.

Now in the top left it will say "Hello" and your name (or whatever you entered when you signed up). Bellow it is a small link that says "Not you?" If you press this you will see a message thay clicking OK will remove the device from O2 wifi. Press ok and the device will be deleted from O2 wifi. Now if you dont see the sign up page just enter 1.0.0.0 again in the URL bar and you can sign up to O2 wifi on your new phone number".

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Thanks a lot @Cleoriff!!! Hero

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MercedesS wrote:

Thanks a lot @Cleoriff!!! Hero

.............For answering the question 2 years ago LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 11