cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Barring?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the O2 community! I'll take the initiative to welcome myself so you don't have to.

I'm a long time lurker here and have always managed to have my problem solved without having to get involved in a thread. But obviously, not this time.

Basically, I bought a contract, upgraded it (through some complicated means I might add), and ended up on a £20p/m contract with 3GB data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts. Now, the problem I am facing is that when I try to make outgoing calls, texts, or even try to use my data, my Samsung Galaxy S4 (not yet updated to KitKat, stock latest firmware) gives me an error saying exactly this; "You cannot make outgoing calls while call barring is enabled". Obviously my first idea what to go into settings and disable call barring. It's not enabled, lo and behold. I tried restarting my device, waiting a long period of time (almost a week without use of my contract which I have paid good money for). It was fine before I upgraded. My bills are up to date. I've tried hard resetting my phone. I don't know where else to turn as it's 1 am and the Live Chat is currently down. I was hoping for a few answers when I wake up tomorrow before attempting to use the Live Chat Support thing? Thanks in advance;
Mike.
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got my solution;

Used Live Chat, briefly explained my problem, and they lifted the bar within a few minuted of connecting. I have no clue why my sim was barred in the first place.

And for those who are interested, about the Mexican thing;

I bought my Galaxy S4 from SimplyElectronics because it was £300 SIM-free which was an absolute bargain at the time. The phone came and everything was in Spanish. The default language settings, the box, manuals, everything. So after some tinkering about and lots of Google translation, I found out how to switch the language settings and eventually found that no sim would work in my brand new 'SIM-free' phone. I didn't realise that it literally meant SIM-free >.>

Went to an unlocking place, and the price was £20 a hit until they finally managed to unlock the phone. No biggie, £360 for a brand new phone.

I also looked at where the phone had been and it said Mexico> Amsterdam> France> UK. This phone has been to more foreign country's than IVE ever been. Haha

But yeah, the bar was lifted after using Live Chat. Thanks for the help guys and I hope my story has interested you tongue

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm going to welcome you anyway for registering and becoming active. 😄

If it turns out to be a bar placed by the Network then you will need to ring Customer Services on 202 to have it removed.

I assume it still says O2-UK in the phones status bar at the top and not 'No Service' as this indicates an Imei Bar.
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd suggest using a working phone (mobile or landline) to call CS rather than trying live chat http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
It certainly sounds like it is an account related problem so CS will have to look at things their end to see what's wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay thanks guys. It does indeed say O2-UK at the top. I've had lots of problems with my phone as I purchased it SIM-free online at the cheapest price I could find (bad move) and it ended up locked to a Mexican network. Paid over £60 to get everything sorted haha. I will ring up customer services and let you guys know if I can get it fixed, and what the solution is.
Thanks guys!
Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had lots of problems with my phone as I purchased it SIM-free online at the cheapest price I could find (bad move) and it ended up locked to a Mexican network. 

There's an interesting story held within that statement, I'm sure Astounded

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Welcome @Anonymous 

I love the expression that you were 'a long time lurker' on the forum. Very pleased that you are no longer lurking and have come online to meet us all. wink

Hope you get your problem resolved. If not, there are Android experts on here who will help..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 17

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

This is starting to sound like the old familiar story, hope not.

You and me both. It was that sentence locked to a Mexican network...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's unlikely that a phone barred in Mexico would also be barred here. Usually you would expect to see "Not Registered on Network" rather than a call barring in operation message - I'm looking for the positives here, can you tell? slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 17