cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android security patch not provided by O2! (and major updates?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I bought a Pixel 2 XL last week. I was trying to get the latest security patch (Oct 2), so I contacted O2 because I haven't got it yet. Custormer service (chat) said to me that O2 doesn't realise security patches.

Even, they didn't answer me whether they would realise major android updates.

Has anybody got the same problem?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Pixel 2 isn’t stocked by O2 so I’m presuming that the software is generic. Therefore O2 would have no influence over when security patches are released.
Message 2 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

We had another poster ask the same question this morning @Anonymous https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/OTA-updates-for-Pixel-2-XL/m-p/1091102#M66574

Hopefully @Chris_K will come back with an answer...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The suspicion is something on O2 network blocking the updates.
If you remove your sim card you should be able to update on wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 28

hayw77
Level 3: Thinker
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Hi...it is thought that this will work but only if you also do a factory reset.....not acceptable for each update
Message 5 of 28

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Good grief no. Definitely not acceptable.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issues. You shouldn't need to factory reset.

I just popped in a sim from another network (FreedomPop, don't ask) and the update showed immediately. Put o2 sim back in, and that same update disappears. That tells me o2 are definitely the reason it is not being sent forward.

I am currently having a guru chat. Passed the level 1 boss, and the 2nd level support has just come online (after some C64 style loading times). I will report back with results.

Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Interesting......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep us posted! I don't have any other sim to try this. Thanks
Message 9 of 28

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can order a free sim online from any of the other networks - must be worth having one just for the updates?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 28