"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Manufacturers would have been told about the risk long before the report was published - speed of response is the key to any security risk.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 33

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Eek! My phone is on the list Smiley Surprised x

giphy-3
Message 22 of 33

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Samsung are usually on the ball with security updates. I've had three since updating to Marshmallow....

Message 23 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Tbh, most modern Samsung won't be affected anyway, at least Exynos based systems won't.
It's like stagefright all over again. In that the scaremongering is far worse than flaws that take 6 months of reverse engineering to find.
Hands up all those who knew a single person affected by the stagefright flaw?
Message 24 of 33

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Precisely that.
Also appears only to be a risk if installing apps from unknown sources too ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys I'll ask the team if they have any information about the deployment of this patch. I'll update this thread once I get a response. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 26 of 33

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Hey guys I'll ask the team if they have any information about the deployment of this patch. I'll update this thread once I get a response. 

Thanks Martin..my HTC10 has the same 4 vulnerabilities as the lg user x

giphy-3
Message 27 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

No problem @Cairdeas I'll update you as soon as I have any news. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 28 of 33

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

As with all updates we receive from vendors (eg, Sony, HTC, Samsung etc) we look to test and approve these quickly. With security patches, we aim to approve these the day we receive them. Many devices already have patches for this bug and those that don't, should have them soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

We'd also like to recommend some good habits to get into with your Android device that may help keep you more secure

1. Ensure ‘Unknown Sources’ in ‘Settings’ is disabled and only install games/apps from the official Play Store
  2. Ensure you’re using the official O2 software/updates and not a 3rd party ROM or unlocked bootloader
  3. Set up a secure password or PIN, don’t open suspicious emails, don’t connect suspicious USB devices (ie, via USB OTG)

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 29 of 33

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

What I have noticed from reading various articles is that so long as your phone is on the current version of Android, the likelihood is that you will get a patch. But for the many phones that are stuck on Lollipop or earlier, those do not get security or any other updates.

Is this the case with O2 as well?  If the manufacturer does not send you a patch for an older phone, you have nothing to send on to users?  So this would apply to any people who converted from Contract to PAYG or to SIM Only because they were happy with their then phone or ran out of cash.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 30 of 33