Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g calling, VoLTE icon not displayed?

dougwzz98
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a Galaxy S9+, 4g calling is enabled in my account and enabled in the mobile settings on the phone itself. The O2 coverage map indicates I'm in a good area where 4G calling is enabled. However I'm never seeing the VoLTE icon in the status bar. Friend of mine with a Galaxy (on EE) see's the VoLTE icon all the time with VoLTE calling active.

I think that 'Voice over LTE' and '4G calling' are the same thing, so why do I never see the VoLTE icon? Does anyone else enabled for 4G calling see the VoLTE icon?  

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Aeron
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello,

A way to test this is to go to the phone dialer on Sony phones and dial *#*#4636#*#* then click phone information and select LTE only. Done this on your sony xz1 and my 4G calling works but when on all 4G through to 2G it will always go to 3G signal. Not sure what the service menu options are on Samsung but I'm sure the XDA developers will have something on this to helpyou out
Message 21 of 39

woodmj
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@dougwzz98 - Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Reading through your thread it sounds like I'm having the same issues on my S9 with 4G & WiFi calling.
Message 22 of 39

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

No I never did get to the bottom of it. I have still never seen the VoLTE icon on my S9+, and I don't even know if I'm supposed to or not. I have also never managed to maintain a 4G connection during a voice call, it *always* drops to 3G (the 4G calling feature is supposed to maintain a 4G connection during voice calls as far as I understand it).

I gues the O2 4G calling feature must do something for some people but it seems I am not one of them disappointed

Message 23 of 39

woodmj
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think I'm getting 4G calling as the 4G icon stays up when I make a call and if I switch it off it drops to 3G but I don't get the VoLTE icon like I did on my S7 on another network.

WiFi calling only works for me if I switch off the cellular radio through Flight Mode and just connect WiFi even though I set my settings to prefer WiFi calling if available.

confused

Message 24 of 39

BigDaddyUK
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Same here. I never seen the VoLTE icon on my S9+, only 4G+ and WiFi Calling icon.
firmware: BTU/BTU/BTU
CSC: OXM
| Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 12/512Gb | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Soon |
Message 25 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today checked 4G ..

When calling 4G+, in the coverage area (VoLTE / 4G Calling), the icon changes to H+. If you enable LTE ONLY, you can not call, the call is reset !!!

😞

Message 26 of 39

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Well unfortunately O2 are rubbish regarding VoLTE/4G calling.

It is probably because O2 have no 4G calling in your area. 

I’ve been back on O2 since Oct 2017 and in the Barry/Cardiff area., there’s been a little 4G+ introduced in some urban areas of Cardiff such as Cathays.But guess what? NO VoLTE AT ALL and not for miles and miles around.

According to the O2 coverage map the WHOLE OF WALES is virtually a VoLTE free zone with only a smidgen of coverage in Flintshire...and that’s probably an accident via an overspill from Liverpool/Ellesmere Port area. And the closest place to me where theses any O2 VoLTE coverage is Oxford about 90miles away.  

Even Three have improved their network around here but apart from the aforementioned..O2 have done nothing...

Same mediocre coverage, same so-so data speeds with NO VoLTE !

if this carries on I’m paying off my two contacts in July and I’m off. 

Message 27 of 39

woodmj
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My local mast is down at the moment so I'm just getting bits of signal from here and there and ironically one of the remote masts that keeps coming into reception is 4G+ unlike my local mast and through this I think I've found maybe a bug whereby if my phone flips from 4G to 4G+ and back again 4G calling is disabled and I have to go in and switch it back on again to get it back.

The thing with WiFi Calling not being available unless there is no kind of O2 signal at all still really gets my goat. The option actually says to use WiFi Calling wherever possible, not only if there is no kind of O2 signal (for me flight mode with WiFi switched on). Not sure whether that's an O2 or Samsung thing.

Message 28 of 39

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@BigDaddyUK wrote:
Same here. I never seen the VoLTE icon on my S9+, only 4G+ and WiFi Calling icon.
firmware: BTU/BTU/BTU
CSC: OXM

With O2 firmware versions you won't see the VoLTE icon- it'll only continue to show the 4G icon. On open market firmwares though, it may show the VoLTE icon however. Just wanted to pop in and clear things up slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 29 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Did you see that one!?

Today checked 4G ..

When calling 4G+, in the coverage area (VoLTE / 4G Calling), the icon changes to H+. If you enable LTE ONLY, you can not call, the call is reset !!!

Message 30 of 39