Did you mean: 

eSIM - Now available on O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
eSIM_Banner.png

UPDATE 24 Sep '20: 5G eSIM has now launched on O2. You'll need a 5G and eSIM compatible device.

O2 is excited to announce that customers can use eSIM technology on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, as well as the iPhone XS, XS Max, XR and the Google Pixel 3 and 3XL from 19 September 2019.

O2 customers need only pop into their local store or call customer services to request a new eSIM pack. You can then download an eSIM profile and swap your current plastic SIM card over to your new eSIM profile following the normal SIM swap process.

Customers will still have the option to use a traditional plastic SIM card should they wish.

We have a dedicated eSIM help & support page here, with many Q&A's.

Community_STS_0.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79

NFH
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's 3½ years since O2 started misleading customers at https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim that "We’re not currently offering esim to our Pay As You Go customers. We’re working on this and it won’t be long before we can offer esims to all our customers with compatible phones" (emphasis added).

Given that this statement "it won't be long" regarding impending availability of eSIM is blatantly misleading and untrue, it breaches Regulation 5(5)(a) of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. O2, please remove this statement or update it to reflect the truth.

Message 71 of 80

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@NFH 

Take it up with ASA or Trading Standards, as this is not customer services, and to be fair "It wont be long" is figurative and it is not in an advert for services, it is in on a FAQ page where E&OE could be used... 

FAQ Pages are not deemed to be marketing of a product.. 

Good Luck

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 72 of 80

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6662 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

We are not O2 but a community of customers so your words will fall on deaf ears.

I would be more worried at there being no 4G calling and WiFi Calling on PAYG the former being required to roam in more and more countries as 3G is shut down

No 5G either

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 73 of 80

NFH
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1shYou are mistaken. An FAQ is not exempt from the provisions of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Furthermore Section 50 of the Consumer RIghts Act 2015 causes anything said or written to the consumer (which includes an FAQ) to be contractually binding.

Message 74 of 80

Enlli
  • 6662 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

@NFH As suggested, take it up with the ASA.

Better still find another PAYG offering with eSIM

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 75 of 80

madasaf1sh
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@NFH 

Take it up with Trading Standard and the ASA  

As @Enlli said I would be more worried if a PAYG customer to not be able to use your phone in the EU to make calls as more and more networks close down 3G, and in some places 4G, and getting WiFi Calling working... 

Why not just leave o2 if you want an esim, Lyca are doing them now, on the o2 network

Message 76 of 80

NFH
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh  I am patiently waiting to port my secondary UK number to my existing O2 Classic PAYG line, on which I have quite a decent amount of credit. I can't do this until O2 supports eSIM on PAYG, because iPhones have one physical SIM slot and one eSIM. Therefore I'm fed up with O2 constantly misleading its customers on the above page. All I'm asking is for O2 to be truthful.

Message 77 of 80

Enlli
  • 6662 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Lyca moved to EE this summer. 

More capacity for O2😉

Message 78 of 80

Enlli
  • 6662 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

@NFH I wouldn't be surprised if O2 don't dump PAYG in the future

VMO2 have Giffgaff to handle that side of things

Message 79 of 80

madasaf1sh
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

I always get Lebara and Lyca mixed up for some reason tongue @Enlli 

And totally agree more chance of o2 porting all PAYG customers to GiffGaff than some features coming online, as the ARPU for PAYG is basically nowt from what I recall..

Message 80 of 80