Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi and 4G Calling - June update

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi all! How's your week going?

We wanted to give you an update on how our Wi-Fi and 4G Calling rollout is progressing. slight_smile

If you remember from this O2 blog article, Wi-Fi and 4G Calling has been available from launch to eligible iPhone 7 & 7 Plus customers on any O2 consumer Pay Monthly, SIM only and business tariffs. Throughout May and June, O2 have rolled out the 4G & Wi-Fi Calling service to more devices and other major cities thanks to customer feedback.

Currently compatible devices:

• Apple iPhone 7, 7plus, 6S, 6S plus & SE
  • Samsung S7 & S7 Edge
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Current Wi-Fi and 4G enabled areas:

• Belfast
  • Bradford
  • Coventry
  • Edinburgh
  • Leicester
  • Liverpool
  • Newcastle
  • Nottingham
  • Sheffield.

To find out more about O2’s Wi-Fi and 4G Calling rollout, visit o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling.

Please note that our Wifi Calling service doesn’t currently support the ability to send/receive SMS when there is no cellular coverage available. We’re continually working to improve our products and services and will let you know of any changes.

Has anyone already tried Wi-Fi or 4G calling? If so what do you think so far? slight_smile

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Glad you're sorted mate slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@walcot wrote:

Ah - O2 hadn't set it up when I tried to access it - when I just rebooted again it appeared! Should have been more patient!!

Hey @walcot glad it's working for you now! Let us know your feedback when you start using it. slight_smile

Message 12 of 19

walcot
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, works well on my home wifi thanks - I get a little icon with a phone icon next to a wifi icon although occasionally it disappears...

Message 13 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've noticed the same thing - the phone is constantly checking the wifi signal is strong enough to use and if it sees any problems it will drop the wifi calling option until the wifi signal improves.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 19

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Well well well, I'd not even noticed this thread but I've just had the offer of this pop-up on my iPhone 6s (in Brighton) so I've activated it. It's telling me it can take up to 24hrs to be fully up & running.

As I don't really know the full ins and outs of the facility, I'll be reading up on it now.

Can anyone pass comment on whether this is better than Tu please? As it does say you've to deactivate Tu to have this function...

Anyhoo - I'll update you on my experience when I've had a chance to give it a good old test drive 😁
Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No text facility with wifi calling and it doesn't work abroad like Tu does, so if you rely on either of those it won't be suitable for you.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Marjo wifi calling is available everywhere wifi is available (subject to access) only 4g calling is in restricted areas I note London Slough and leeds are missing from your list I thought the iphone 6 was now included froim another thread. Perhaps a review of the op may be required.

But I use wifi calling in the local pub and it is fine my Iphone 7 latches to wifi calling at home even when cellular coverage (4g 3G 2G) is available (but I do have a fast FTTC connection)

Hey got some answers for the points you raised, see info below. slight_smile

It hasn't been fully rolled out yet for iPhone 6, O2 is working to have this ready later this year.

Provided that a customer meets the criteria (compatible handset, compatible tariff, has had the software updated to enable it) then Wi-Fi calling technically works anywhere. It's not limited just to the 4G locations that have been enabled.

Remember that it's a cellular-first setup so only in poor network signal areas will the Wi-Fi calling kick in. Wi-Fi calling will of course also allow customers to move away from their Wi-Fi calling signal and the call will not drop.

Regarding the May-June update and the locations: it lists only the new locations. So the rollout of 4G calling will continue to the end of the year, therefore the original list at launch will increase.

Message 17 of 19

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Does anybody have any idea when its 4G calling/ VoLTE is coming to Cardiff ?

Thanks very much.

Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Only o2 would know that and they never tell us in advance.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 19