Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi and 4G Calling - June update

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi all! How's your week going?

We wanted to give you an update on how our Wi-Fi and 4G Calling rollout is progressing. slight_smile

If you remember from this O2 blog article, Wi-Fi and 4G Calling has been available from launch to eligible iPhone 7 & 7 Plus customers on any O2 consumer Pay Monthly, SIM only and business tariffs. Throughout May and June, O2 have rolled out the 4G & Wi-Fi Calling service to more devices and other major cities thanks to customer feedback.

Currently compatible devices:

• Apple iPhone 7, 7plus, 6S, 6S plus & SE
  • Samsung S7 & S7 Edge
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Current Wi-Fi and 4G enabled areas:

• Belfast
  • Bradford
  • Coventry
  • Edinburgh
  • Leicester
  • Liverpool
  • Newcastle
  • Nottingham
  • Sheffield.

To find out more about O2’s Wi-Fi and 4G Calling rollout, visit o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling.

Please note that our Wifi Calling service doesn’t currently support the ability to send/receive SMS when there is no cellular coverage available. We’re continually working to improve our products and services and will let you know of any changes.

Has anyone already tried Wi-Fi or 4G calling? If so what do you think so far? slight_smile

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

I use Wifi calling with my iPhone 7S Plus, in Sheffield and whilst in work in leeds, not bad qualtiy so far, and have also noticed as a side effect increased data speeds mainly in the outskirts of sheffield where I have had 89.71Mb andf 78.61 Mbps download speeds. slight_smile 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Marjo wifi calling is available everywhere wifi is available (subject to access) only 4g calling is in restricted areas I note London Slough and leeds are missing from your list I thought the iphone 6 was now included froim another thread. Perhaps a review of the op may be required.

But I use wifi calling in the local pub and it is fine my Iphone 7 latches to wifi calling at home even when cellular coverage (4g 3G 2G) is available (but I do have a fast FTTC connection)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome, thanks for your feedback so far on how it's been if you've used it so far. Keep it coming! slight_smile

Cheers @adamtemp64 (sorry I tagged you incorrectly before!) Let me double check the info and I'll update the topic. slight_smile

Message 4 of 19

walcot
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I've asked for WiFi and 4G calling to be set up on my business account and had it confirmed but I can't find it on my phone (Galaxy S7 edge bought from O2 in October 2016).

If I try to find 'Settings>Connections>WiFi calling' the option isn't there so I downloaded the latest software update (message: The lastest software update has been installed G935FXXU1DQD7/G935FTEF1DQD7/G935FXXU1DQD7) and rebooted the phone but it still isn't there - can anyone help?

Message 5 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@walcot wrote:

Hi

I've asked for WiFi and 4G calling to be set up on my business account and had it confirmed but I can't find it on my phone (Galaxy S7 edge bought from O2 in October 2016).

If I try to find 'Settings>Connections>WiFi calling' the option isn't there so I downloaded the latest software update (message: The lastest software update has been installed G935FXXU1DQD7/G935FTEF1DQD7/G935FXXU1DQD7) and rebooted the phone but it still isn't there - can anyone help?

Type *#1234# and give me the CSC please.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 19

walcot
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

AP: G935FXXU1DQD7

CP: G935FXXU1DQD7

CSC: G935FTEF1DQD1

Model: SM-G935F

Message 7 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

That all looks good to me so no reason I can think of tbh.
I can't guarantee it will work but a factory reset might bring it online for you, other than that it will have to be referred to customer services unfortunately.
Just check this doesn't apply to you:
Using Wifi and 4G Calling
Wifi and 4G Calling won’t work with some of our other services including TU Go (or O2 Just Call Me, Mobex or Mobile Recording for business customers). You’ll need to remove them to use Wifi and 4G Calling. Don’t worry though, if you change your mind later you can always switch back through My O2 or your Business Advisor.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

walcot
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I don't think I'll do a factory reset as I've got everything exactly where I want on the phone! Unless CS can help I suppose I'll just have to do without WiFi calling slight_frown

Message 9 of 19

walcot
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah - O2 hadn't set it up when I tried to access it - when I just rebooted again it appeared! Should have been more patient!!

Message 10 of 19