Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

maejic
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@auntyk26  my relacement arrived yesterday, after I received a call from O2 on Wednesday. I have seen the articles about a rounded blue square with an S inside and of someone elses comment on here about a black square next to the barcode, imei info.. Well I can confirm that it is indeed a small black square, about 7mm tall, which is in fact just a simple little black sticker tacked on to the original imei sticker. Other than that I cant see any differences between it and the box of my original note. As the delivery driver swaps them out, I didnt exactly get a chance to examine both boxes but they look the same to me. If you use, 'Phone info' app from the play store, the manufacturing date is 1st september, which worryingly enough was the day I was first aware of the battery problem...but I will (hopefully correctly) assume that this isnt 'one' of those as it came as a replacement.

Quick thought, was the original box, inside the outer slip, always a dark metalic blueish colour? ...I think so...

Just to add to the confusion over how O2 are prioritising there replacement list and whether it is first ordered, first replaced...this is not added to annoy anyone, as I was in the same boat only 2 days ago.

I ordered on 16th (pre-order start day).

Was knobbed off by the online payment system, after digitally signing agreements etc.

Was advised, after a few calls to them, that I need to wait 3 days for the order to either authenticate or fail due to time limit.

I reordered on the 19th.

Received on 30th.

Snap, crackle, fire news in press.

Plenty of calls from me about when, how etc. I would get a replacement.

Received temp loaner phone 14th.

Received new replacement 15th.

I hope the promise to call everyone by today, is sincere and that everyone gets replacement over the next few days.

I just want to add after the fact, that if you remove from the equation the lack of forthcoming info from O2 and the fact that we as customers have to do all the factfinding and digging. It hasn't really been that painful.

@Toby O2 really need to work on their information sharing, I can't emphasise this enough, if O2 had inform us by email, everyone on this forum would probably not be so angry. How hard would it be to email, every other day to note 7 owners, actual information not the misinformed, guarded rubbish ..'oh we are sorry...call back....PM me on the forum' ...that we have seen or heard on this forum or via CS....its not helpful. Sure you reply to us on the forum but what to you tell us, not much, nothing to actually put us at ease.

I have never had a problem with O2 before and other than the total lack of communication this time, this hasnt been to painful. Lets hope for the best in the future.

Message 511 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I've been following this thread for the last two weeks with interest & frustration! I feel for everyone that had a note 7 delivered prior to relase and have yet to hear anything from O2 regarding its replacement - it must be a really frustrating situation particularly as the most recent advice is to power down the phone and not use it. O2 have really been slack on this front.

From my own, personal point of view, I ordered the note 7 on 31st August with guaranteed delivery for launch date 2nd September. From my previous postings, I only found out about the recall/delay through news mediums, and I've still yet to have ANY communication from O2 regarding this. It's all very well to update this forum thread with the sparse information that's released, but to have nothing but radio silence from O2 regarding my order, is unbelievable.

Surely, as I've stated before it's not beyond the technical capability of O2 to send out a generic text/email to everyone that's ordered the phone, along the lines of "Hi, thanks for your recent order for a new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - you may not be aware but the phone has been subject to a worldwide recall, and therefore you won't be receiving the device until we have further information regarding its re-availability. Rest assured, we'll be in touch again as soon as we have any news" There you go, O2, feel free to communicate this paragraph - I won't mind!!

Quite frankly, two weeks on, without any indication of when the Note 7 may be reavailable is annoying to say the least. I paid off my previous refresh tariff, along with the fee to upgrate to the Note 7 over two weeks ago now. If I cancelled my airtime direct debit, I wonder how long it would take O2 to get in touch with a threatening message!?

Message 512 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @maejic,

We have tried to post updates as we have received them and they have been accurate at the time of posting. I fully appreciate that some members require more info, but we have been as open as we can with the information we have. I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy and I appreciate that. We're being as open as we can here on the community.

I've been sending daily reports to O2 in order for us to be aware of the issues here so that we can continue to improve too. The community team does not have access to individual customer's info, so we can only post updates affecting larger groups generally. Myself and the team will continue to update when we can.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 513 of 1,893

maejic
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby It wasn't meant as a dig at you, no offense meant. It was aimed directly as O2 as a whole...I have been a customer for about 8-9 years and those, happy years, were almost washed away by this total lack of forthcoming info - just so frustrating !!!!. I am sure many would agree. 

Anyway, its onwards and upwards from my note and me. All the best to everyone, including @Toby slight_smile 

Message 514 of 1,893

prototype89
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby

Just as I had suspected I was NOT on the callback list. 

I got through to a different person on the Handset Returns team and they assured me I would be getting a callback yada yada and as luck would have it, he said he was sat across from the Note 7 replacement team so he popped over and had a chat with them. He comes back and says unfortunately I was right and that despite having a Note 7 I was not on the recall spreadsheet and that I was only now being manually added on - which means at least one more week until a get a callback. No explanation given as to why I was not on the list. He tells me if I hadn't of got through to him then I would have never been called back.

He said that even though I preordered on day 1 this meant nothing. The list is apparently disorganised,

@Toby, can you please do something to help me. This is really unfair and appalling that I've slipped through the cracks because O2 failed to follow up my queries over the last 10+ calls - because they were adamant I was on a callback list when I wasn't - just as I had suspected.

Message 515 of 1,893

RJKennedy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Went through to returns department again to chase up my process.. was told they have no new note 7s at present and don't expect anymore until Monday. She took my name and number and said she'll pass it over to them and put me 'to the top of the list for a call on Monday'. I'm very doubtful but we can always live in hope! At least I won't be waiting around for this illusive 'Friday call' that was initially promised.
Message 516 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Finally got in touch with o2... Got offered a replacement, but I can't afford to take the time off work to get it delivered. Was then told they were sending a jiffy bag for me to send back my Note 7. They were very surprised when I said it wasn't going back until I had a working replacement in my hands.
Also got repeatedly told the lie that owners were being called about replacements in priority order based on when they ordered, which we all know isn't true.
So I'm guess I'm waiting until 9pm tonight to see if I get the call.

I still want to re-iterate to the CS team that this is appalling service. Apart from the people who have been lucky to get replacements it appears that o2 has been too busy with the Iphone 7 launch to even give note 7 owners and people with open orders the decency of a single email explaining the situation.
It's making me wonder if running our corporate phones via o2 is the right thing to do.....
Message 517 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @prototype89,

Please PM me and we'll see what can be done for you.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 518 of 1,893

prototype89
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Done thanks.
Message 519 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just spoken to CS yet again who tried to get me to post the phone back which I refused to do as I'm told it's a doorstep exchange and she said I've just gotta wait for the call. Unless I get the call today tomorrow I'll be leaving O2. This is stressing me out as I'm sure it is with other people
Message 520 of 1,893