Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm going for the S7 Edge. It's the closest thing to the note7 and I think after using a Note7 I wouldn't be happy with anything else. We all have the same taste in amazing smartphones but we're all equally stuck where to go from here at this stage. Personally I will be staying with Samsung. Technology is what it is. Samsung did a brave thing pulling the plug. And a very wise move. The snapdragon certainly breathed fire here. Onwards and upwards
Message 1461 of 1,893

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

For the past 5 years I've only had Samsung devices but I've had my share of other devices via Try The Tech. I would have got the Note 7 on release day here but there were already reports of of problems in the media. It's been a sorry mess but I would have no problem with with the S7 Edge or the XZ. 

However I've decided to stick with the Note 4 for the time being until I see what Samsung come up with next but you can bet your bottom dollar it will be much more thoroughly tested than the Note7. 

Message 1462 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
On that @jonsie you and I agree. Can't see Samsung making the same mistake twice and like you am sticking with my Note 4 and Samsung, particularly as I've got a better deal from o2 which saves me money 😊
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1463 of 1,893

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
On that @jonsie you and I agree. Can't see Samsung making the same mistake twice and like you am sticking with my Note 4 and Samsung, particularly as I've got a better deal from o2 which saves me money 😊

It worked out well for you in the end @Glory1@but oh,  the stress and confusion inbetween.... 

Message 1464 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Whilst I remain delighted that I went for the Note 4 instead of the Note 7. Common sense prevailed with me. No point, I thought, getting the Note 7 when I would not use it to it's full capability.....Perhaps 'someone' was telling me something...Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1465 of 1,893

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
You can say that again @jonsie. But I am a lot luckier than many. I didn't receive the phone so avoided all the hassle of the recall, misinformation, no information, etc. For me it could have been a lot worse.

Message 1466 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just called the number to sort out a return and when I asked about the device/upfront refunds the advisor said I should speak to Samsung about that. Really confusing and she must be wrong there. Why would Samsung deal with payments made to O2?

Also, do we have to send the VR back? my partner sold hers as we didn't need 2. How were we to know there would be a permanent recall?

Message 1467 of 1,893

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous she clearly hasn't been informed of o2's latest statement. So here we go again more misinformation. I would contact o2 again and speak to a manager. If you still have problems then send a PM to Toby or Martin who will assist you.

You are quite right Samsung will not refund money to you as you did not purchase through them direct. o2 have agreed to refund any upfront costs and monthly payments made.

Message 1468 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Gloria, I'll call them back after work!
Message 1469 of 1,893

TreggyIII
Level 4: Observant
  • 78 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous I spoke to customer services this morning, and the advisor said catagorically that I could keep the VR, her words were actually "we don't want them back"!

She aslo asked me rather tongue-in-cheek what I was going to do with it, my answer was eBay, which she found quite amusing.

Apparently UKMail are dealing with schuduling pickups (they're calling owners directly), I did mention that I heard they weren't carrying Note7 devices, she'd heard the same but had been assured that they will for the time being - maybe they're getting some sort of 'danger money'?

I also asked about aftermarket accessories - I bought the Samsung Original Leather Case for mine, doesn't look like O2 are going to do anything about that, she suggested going to the original seller for a refund.

Hope this helps some of you.

Message 1470 of 1,893