Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@AuntSally16 wrote:
Powered down the replacement note 7 just days after finally getting it! Can't believe Samsung have got this soooo wrong?!
Not sure happy to use Samsung devices now after being so messed around! What to go for now I wonder? Loved the note 7 so very hard to look elsewhere 😤

I hear the Sony XZ is an excellent device @AuntSally16

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-xz-1327386/review

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sony/xperia-xz/

That would be my choice too with the way things are. 

Message 1451 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I had a play with an XZ yesterday in store and I can say comfortably that it is an excellent device.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1452 of 1,893

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It really is.
Message 1453 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Not sure I'd recommend the Sony XZ seems like 2015 tech to me. It also has a clunky feel to the O S front end (I've had the Z1, Z2 & Z3). The only phone for me is the Google Pixel Xl which you can't get direct from o2 - wonder if they only allow me to upgrade rather than cancel and change network or to a SIM only plan.

I've ordered the Pixel XL from carphone warehouse (delivery a week friday...

I'm also going to go for a sim only plan, there looks like a good deal on a plan at £18 a month (with better data than I'm currently paying 25 a month for!)  o2 really has a crazy pricing structure.

I think from now on i'm going down the route of saving money for 2 years and buying handsets outright from whoever can give me the best deal!

Message 1454 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Just in case anyone has not seen our latest update. Please see the top of the original post in this thread for the the latest info.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Samsung-Galaxy-Note7-Update-from-O2/m-p/994953#M16742

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1455 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's down to your own personal preference, you only need to look at your signature Strip to see why you'd recommend the new sony. I like Android and hold no allegiance to any handset brand.
Message 1456 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I think it's down to your own personal preference, you only need to look at your signature Strip to see why you'd recommend the new sony. I like Android and hold no allegiance to any handset brand.

Let me expand my signature strip to devices I've owned in the past 3 years....

iPhone 4s, 5 5s, 6s

Samsung S2, S3, S4mini, AtivS, Note 4

Xperia Z1, Z5

Lumia 540, 640

Leagoo Elite 1

That's just the phones I can think of off the top of my head, and I still think the XZ blows any of them away.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 1457 of 1,893

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Here's the latest update just in case anyone hasn't seen the original post.

In a further update Samsung have confirmed that they will permanently discontinue production of the Note7 device. This breaking news changes our previous position – we’ll now offer customers either an upgrade or a cancellation of their Note7 device contract with us.

We put our customers first and will offer our Note7 customers the following options:
1. Upgrade the Note7 to a different device on a new O2 Refresh contract
2. Cancel the Note7 for a refund

Both options will include a full refund of any device charges including any Upfront payment, any Device Plan payments made to date and the collection of the Note7 device from customers via one of our carriers.

We had set up a dedicated contact number for Note7 customers last week and we’re communicating to them asking them to contact us on 0333 234 1457 to discuss their options. This number routes customers to our Returns & Repairs Team in customer service who will discuss the options with our customers.

We need to tightly control the collection and return of existing Note7 devices and as a consequence we’re not offering upgrade or loan options via our Stores network at this time. We are continuing to review whether we can create an option for in store returns of Note7 devices.

Thanks

Message 1458 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
You had a Lumia? Enough said. Only joking with you, personal preference.
Message 1459 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You had a Lumia? Enough said. Only joking with you, personal preference.

I fully agree - It wouldn't work if we were all the same slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 1460 of 1,893