on 07-11-2018 09:46
Why should you join O2? That's a question we see pop up every now and then here on the O2 Community and while it's an entirely personal decision, we encourage you to pick the option that suits your needs and requirements best. We'd obviously love for that to be O2, but we understand our customers and we know every single one of them are unique - so joining O2 may not always be your best option. However, we want to recap the main reasons why you should consider joining or staying with O2, as it may help you make a decision - one way or another.
Create a plan that's unique to you
With O2 Custom Plans, we’re the only UK network that splits out the cost of the handset and airtime and then allows you to choose your own upfront cost, monthly data, and even spread the cost of the device over 3-36 months. You can even pay off your device plan and upgrade at any time, or even flex your data up or down each month. Check out our video below explaining more about how Custom Plans works.
Full cost transparency
Reducing your bill after you've paid for your device
O2 Refresh lets you change phones whenever you want. It works by splitting your bill into two parts: a Phone Plan and an Airtime Plan.
- The Phone Plan is the cost of the phone
- The Airtime Plan covers all your calls, texts and data
If you want to upgrade your phone, just pay off your Device Plan and you're free to upgrade while continuing to use your Airtime Plan. Plus, if you decide to keep your phone once you’ve paid it off, we'll only charge you for your Airtime Plan – so your monthly bill will go down. See community how-to guide on Refresh here.
Recycle your old tech with O2 Recycle and you'll receive a cash payment, allowing you to help cover the costs of paying off your current device plan, to then upgrade to the latest and greatest.
New offers and experiences every day with O2 Priority
O2 Priority is our fantastic app that features regular treats, prizes and surprises. Our offers change very regularly, so check it our every day for something new. Here's a snippet of what to expect:
- Offers on food & drink, shopping, travel, health & beauty, entertainment and sports
- Tickets to gigs and events up to 48 hours before general release
- Perks at O2 venues and events, including fast-track entry, exclusive bars and lounges, help from O2 Angels, pre-match snacks and drinks
Friends & Family, Student, Family and O2 Open discounts
O2 offer 4 fantastic schemes to get a discount on the airtime-part of your contract in different situations:
- O2 Open - get 15% or 20% off your airtime plan depending on your tariff if you work for certain employers that qualify
- Friends & Family - 50% (if with device) or 30% (SIM-only) off your airtime plan if you have a friend or family member working for O2
- Student discount - 20% off your airtime plan if you're currently studying
- O2 Family Plan - airtime discounts of up to 50% for your family members
Check out our community guide on O2 Open, F&F and Student discounts here.
An award winning network
We're extremely proud of our network, and we're actively investing in constantly upgrading, improving and enhancing coverage across the UK - including even the most rural of locations, such as Staylittle.
- O2 won uSwitch's Best Network Coverage award in 2018
- We're regularly bringing 4G to more and more locations
- Our coverage checker is constantly updated to reflect the most accurate coverage expectations in any given location here
- Don't use your data. Use ours. That's what you get with O2 Wifi - a 15,000 hotspot UK-wide network of fast & reliable wifi
Family life is complicated. We're here to help.
Our gurus are here to help – they’re dedicated experts on family tech, online safety and all things O2.
- Our Family Plans come with advanced parental controls and exclusive Priority offers.
- One simple bill for all your connections and Family Plan airtime discounts of up to 50%.
With O2 Family, you get free access to Qustodio Premium, the award-winning parental control app. It lets you keep an eye on your child’s device from your own phone, and set rules with them for how to make the most of it.
Collaboration with NSPCC
O2 has partnered with NSPCC to help keep kids safe online and provide help and advice about key issues. As well as loads of fantastic resources to help keep your kids safe online, we've got some great advice here for parents and guardians, including:
Get help from an O2 Guru
A phone you can’t work is like a jar you can’t open. That’s why our O2 Gurus are here to give you free help and advice.
- Our Gurus are dedicated to helping you get the most out of your device. From backing up your data, to advice on taking amazing photographs, and everything in between
- Our Guru's are also experts in family tech and parental controls, and can help you pick out your kid’s first phone, set it up, and give you advice on how they should use it
- Got an issue with your device? Use our clever tool to help fix it
- Talk to our Guru's online, in-store, and even on Social Media
We have an awesome Community
The O2 Community is very important to us as it provides a very strong platform for feedback and member insights, as well as provide a dedicated place for customers to talk, discuss, chat and help. We’re constantly looking at improving, enhancing and investing in the O2 Community to help make it the best it can be, so existing and new members alike can feel at home. It's a great place to laugh, learn, and support one another.
Check out some lovely quotes here from our existing members for reasons they've stayed on the Community.
These are the main great things that you get as an O2 customer, but there we're sure that as a customer you have a few other benefits in mind: feel free to share your thoughts on this in the comments!
on 07-11-2018 13:25
Top marks for a brilliant review of O2 @Marjo
Pity you aren't eligible for a reward
It's a reward in itself already to be here with all of you!
on 07-11-2018 13:53
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
on 07-11-2018 15:44
on 07-11-2018 18:06
08-11-2018 10:48 - edited 08-11-2018 10:51
I think the biggest issue with O2 recycle is they lead you to believe you'll get £x for the phone, you know for sure that the phone is in great condition given it's age etc, yet they will ALWAYS tell you there was damage to justify dropping (sometimes by over 50%) the value you get for the phone.
Years ago, my wife had a Blackberry to put through O2 recycle when she upgraded. This was back in the days of the O2 shop staff being really friendly and helpful instead of the sales focussed robots they have these days. The lady who served her told her the phone is in great condition and she'll get a good price for it (I can't remember how much now). When my wife got the money for the phone, it was less than half what she was told, yet the phone was in great condition.
There is literally no debate with them either. The whole system is a ripoff to consumers and just a money making exercise.
08-11-2018 12:34 - edited 08-11-2018 12:35
I think if you know that your handset isn’t going to be worth much, then you’re probably going to be happy for it to be “recycled”, and in that situation it’s better to get something for it (i.e. rather than nothing). The difficulty arises when you know that your phone is in mint condition, but it’s not fairly assessed, particularly if you have to post the item, and not have any input in that assessment. Some people may be happy with the offer that’s made, but I’d be surprised if the likes of O2 can compete with retailers that specialise in buying and selling mobiles (like CeX).
But the clue is probably in the name, as it’s a recycling service, so it may not be the best option if you’ve got something that could attract a good price if sold privately, or via specialist retailers.