Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iPhone 12 Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We're pleased to confirm Apple’s latest products - iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro - have launched on O2, and iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini go on pre-order from Friday 6 November. Further details including pricing, availability and pre-order info will be made available here on the O2 Community, on the O2 website, and on our Social Media feeds in the coming days.

SideButton_Existing.png

Message us on Facebook Messenger Message us on Twitter

Links for Pay Monthly customers
iPhone 12 5G
iPhone 12 mini 5G
iPhone 12 Pro 5G
iPhone 12 Pro Max 5G
blue-iphone-12-sku-header-131020.png red-iphone-12-mini-sku-header-131020.png blue-iphone-12-pro-sku-header-131020.png gold-iphone-12-pro-max-sku-header-131020.png
Links for Business customers
iPhone 12 5G
iPhone 12 mini 5G
iPhone 12 Pro 5G
iPhone 12 Pro Max 5G

Questions?
As the UK's No. 1 network, we're here for you whenever you need us. We know how exciting new iPhone launches can be and we know you may have a load of questions, so before you call, tweet or facebook us, please check our extensive Q&A section below in case your question already has an answer.

We will add more Q&A's over time but if you've got a question not listed, please feel free to reply to this thread and let us know.

Related discussions on the O2 Community

• Need a USB-C wall charger, new MagSafe case or other accessory? Check out our top picks
  • Want to get an iPhone 12 or 12 Pro for less? Recycle your old device and get cash for your old tech. Check out how

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

If you know what section you're after, jump straight to it with the links below:

1. Main questions
  2. Discount / Cost / Pricing Info
  3. Upgrade Info
  4. Pre-order / Availability / Order Info
  5. Device & Other Questions

Main Questions 🔝

Are you going to be stocking the new iPhone 12?
A. Yes, O2 will range the new iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max. More details will be released in the coming days here for consumers and here for Business.

Q. When can I pre-order?
A.
The new iPhone 12 range will have a 'split launch' as follows:

• iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro will be available to pre-order from Friday, 16 October 2020 at 1PM UK time and will launch Friday, 23 October
  • iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available to pre-order from Friday, 6 November at 1PM UK time and will launch Friday, 13 November

Q. When will your tariff & pricing details be available for the new iPhones?
A. 
Full pricing and tariff details will be available once pre-orders begin during the above dates and times - we won't have tariff details available before then.

Q. Why are pre-orders going live at 1PM and not in the morning?
A. 
This is a request from Apple and as far as we're aware, all UK pre-orders whether from us, Apple or other networks will not begin until 1PM on the relevant dates above.

Q. Why is there no charger or earphones in the box?
A. This was entirelyApple's decision to remove the charger and earphones from the box and as this will bring environmental benefits and help reduce e-waste, it’s a decision we support.

Q. Can I use the cable and charger I got with my previous iPhone?
A. The iPhone 12 is compatible with existing Lightning cables and USB-A wall chargers. The iPhone 12 will come with a USB-C to Lightning cable so if you don't have an existing compatible lightning cable and charger you can use, then you'll need to purchase a USB-C charger. We have some great offers on compatible chargers during your pre-order checkout, and you can also buy these directly from Apple or via other 3rd party sellers such as Amazon.

Q. Will you support 5G on the new iPhones?
A.
Yes, absolutely! You can find out more about O2 5G, including the locations where 5G is currently live – with more locations being activated regularly.

Q. What about 5G Ultra Wideband?
A.
5G Ultra Wideband (UWB) is an emerging technology in the US, but isn't yet available in the UK. If or when there's any new info on 5G UWB we'll let customers know.

Q. Will you support eSIM for the new iPhones?
A. eSIM launched on O2 on 19 September 2019 and the technology will also be available on these new iPhone models. Customers can request an eSIM pack in-store or by getting in touch with our customer service teams.

Q. Will you support 5G eSIM on the new iPhones?
A. Yes, absolutely! We launched 5G eSIM in September 2020 and you can request a 5G eSIM in the same way as you would for a 4G one. More details on eSIM here.

Discount / Cost / Pricing Info 🔝

Q. When will I be able to use my O2 Open or student discount on the new iPhones?
A.  This varies across the range:

• iPhone 12: Eligible for all discounts, including O2 Open, Student, family plan, Friends & Family
  • iPhone 12 Pro: Not currently eligible for O2 Open or Student discounts
  • iPhone 12 miniEligible for all discounts, including O2 Open, Student, family plan, Friends & Family
  • iPhone 12 Pro MaxEligible for all discounts, including O2 Open, Student, family plan, Friends & Family

PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible for O2 Open, you’ll need to request it within 28 days of the start of your O2 Refresh contract. More details on the website.

Q. A friend/family member works for you. Can I get my friends & family discount?
A. 
Yes, you’ll be able to make use of your Friends & Family discount – speak with your friend who works for O2 to get this applied after ordering.

Q. Is the new iPhone eligible for family plan discounts?
A. 
Yes, the iPhone 12 range is eligible for Family Plan discounts. More info on Family Plan here.

Q. Why should I stay with or join O2?
A. 
With the new iPhones, plus all our device range on Pay Monthly, we put you in control so that you can design a plan to suit your needs. Here’s some top reasons ‘Why O2?’

More info
  • Upgrade or buy an iPhone 12 on one of our Unlimited tariffs and get 12 months of Disney+ on us, or 6 months for any other tariff
  • Choose how much to pay upfront (down to £0 if you’re upgrading)
  • Spread the balance for up to 36 months to keep the cost down – or choose as little as three months if you want to pay it off quicker
  • Pick your data allowance to finish building your customised plan. You can even change it up and down every month if that’s your style.
  • From pre-order, we’ll have a range of promotional tariffs to give you even more for your money.
  • And don’t forget, with O2 you also get MyO2, O2 Priority, first dibs on ticket sales before general release, and more freedom in how/where to buy, and how to get in touch with us should you need to

Upgrade Info 🔝

Q. Will you have enough stock for everyone who wants the new iPhone?
A. 
We expect there to be high demand for the new iPhones and recommend customers pre-order as soon as possible once pre-orders go live to avoid disappointment

Q. I'm wanting to upgrade but want to know all my available options
A. 
As upgrades are very much account specific and the details can vary from person to person, we'd recommend checking your My O2 app for upgrade options. You can also get in touch with our upgrade team to discuss – get in touch with us on Twitter or Facebook and we can discuss in more detail.

Q. What if I want to upgrade earlier than upgrade date?
A. 
This is possible thanks to the power of Custom Plans on O2. With Custom Plans, you can upgrade at any time by simply paying off the remainder of your device plan agreement. You may be able to off-set much or all of this cost by using O2 Recycle to trade-in your existing device.

Q. Are you offering a Yearly Upgrade Programme on your tariffs?
A. 
With O2 Custom Plans, we’re giving our customers true flexibility to be able to choose the length of tariff they want, from 3 to 36 months, and choose the data they need. And you can upgrade at any time – even if you’re only 1 month into a 36 month tariff – just by paying off your device plan.

Pre-order / Availability / Order Info 🔝

Q. Can I select Premium delivery for my new iPhone during pre-order?
A. 
No, premium delivery options will not be available from pre-order for Consumer or Business.

Q. I pre-ordered at *date/time*, when will I get my new iPhone?
A. 
Throughout your pre-order journey we display an expected delivery date. You can see this on the product shop page, during your custom plans selections, and at the final basket/checkout screen. After ordering, we’ll keep you updated on your order as and when there’s progress.

Q. How do I stay up to date on my order?
A. 
You can keep an eye on your My O2 order status, and we’ll also keep you updated as and when there’s progress with your order.

Device & Other Questions 🔝

Q. Will I be able to unlock the iPhones?
A. 
Great news! Most of our devices now arrive unlocked – including these new iPhones - but if you receive a device that is locked, you can unlock this free of charge. More info here.

Q. Will it have Wifi and 4G Calling?
A. 
The new iPhone 12 range will launch with Wifi and 4G Calling enabled

Q. Does 5G work with Dual SIM?

A. When using two connections in Dual SIM mode, 5G data isn't supported on either connection and will fall back to 4G. If you’re using a single SIM only (or have only one SIM active) and it’s a 5G one, then you can access 5G wherever it’s available on the O2 network.

Q. Can I use an O2 eSIM and a *other network* physical SIM, or vice versa?
A. Absolutely. You're free to mix and match how you'd like. Want to have an O2 eSIM and be able to use a 'local network' physical SIM when you go on holiday or business trips abroad? Easy. Want to use another networks' eSIM but use a physical O2 one? Done. Or vice versa? Yep, you can do that too.

Q. What iPhone's will Apple Watch Series 6 be compatible with?
A. Apple Watch Series 6 is compatible with iPhone 6s and newer, which must be running the latest version of iOS.

Message 2 of 59

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Reserved post. May be used for any additional info or future updates that we'll want to keep separate to the above main post and Q&A post, to keep sections separate and make it easier to find the info you're after.

Message 3 of 59

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
What 4 new phones wow lol
Message 4 of 59

SarahW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bit disppointing that no pricing or tarriff details will be available until pre-orders begin and not beforehand - how are we supposed to make an informed choice beforehand about whether to stay with O2 or purchase elsewhere?

Also very disappointing to read the the O2 Open discount won't be available from launch - why is this please?

Message 5 of 59

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not sure on official reasons @SarahW, but this has been the case for quite a while now.
Can't remember the last phone that was on o2 open from launch...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 59

SarahW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Wow that’s pretty poor! Considering there’s a certain time that the discount has to be applied to a new contract it looks like I won’t be able to get it applied at all to any of the new iPhones.
Time to start looking elsewhere I think 😞
Message 7 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SarahW 

There is always a queue of people waiting for any new phone to launch so O2 don't allow certain discounts for around the first 3 months to maximise profit..

Friends and Family and Family plan discounts are still allowed though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 59

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@SarahW wrote:

Bit disppointing that no pricing or tarriff details will be available until pre-orders begin and not beforehand - how are we supposed to make an informed choice beforehand about whether to stay with O2 or purchase elsewhere?

Also very disappointing to read the the O2 Open discount won't be available from launch - why is this please?

Hi Sarah. Sorry you feel you're unable to make an informed choice prior to pre-order, but as iPhone 12 was announced only just last night, we're still finalising the finer details of our tariffs and these won't be ready to be shared before pre-order.

Rest assured though our tariffs will be competitive, and as iPhone 12 will be available on our custom plans, you'll be able to tailor the perfect deal for you by choosing your own upfront payment, monthly data amount and even contract length - which you can't do anwhere else. It's worth noting too that currently no other UK network has tariff or pricing details available yet either.

Regarding O2 Open, we're unable to go into specifics but we do restrict certain discounts for certain devices at launch, which we look to make eligible as soon as stock becomes 'free flowing' (that is, no back order or delivery delays). Again, sorry for any disappointment this may cause but as soon as O2 Open becomes available for these devices, we'll be sure to let customers know.

Message 9 of 59

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions