Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Volt bolt-ons better

phonek
Level 1: Joiner
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can someone please clarify/confirm what's included with the O2 side of these Volt Bolt-ons and what's not, as the terminology O2 uses for it's products is somewhat confusing – at least to me it is, lol! 

(VM Volt side of things gives you Double-Data broadband + upto three WiFi pods for free... but I'm already on gigabit BB and don't need the pods – so not much use for me AFAICT, unless I'm missing anything?) 

my plan.jpg(^ O2 email confirmation received.) 

But what precisely do these O2 Volt Bolt-ons give you? 

I have this data O2 Volt Bolt-on: 

1. "Volt Double-Data Boost" inside the UK [for my account, that means 64GB instead of 32GB.] 

Outside UK remains capped at 25GB/mth (or until you come back to UK, then go out again to refresh the amount back to 25GB, upto your overall monthly limit; ie. 64GB in my case). Only for use in all 75 destinations below and at a max. 2 Mbps speed. (is that all correct?) 

But also I have these two travel O2 Volt Bolt-ons, which are confusing me: 

2. "Volt O2 Travel Inclusive Zone". 
3. "O2 Travel (for O2 Travel Inclusive Zone)". 

Q1: As a Volt customer, what's the difference between bolt-ons 2 and 3 above? 

Have I got it right that all (most) pay monthly customers get the Europe Zone 48 destinations included, so these two only relate to the (non-Europe Zone) 27 destinations of the Travel Incl. Zone? 

Q2: More importantly, what calls/SMS are included in my whole airtime plan here then? 

My understanding (for standard calls obviously, not premium or special numbers) is this: 

- for Europe Zone: 

A. in UK: O2 UK# to UK#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

B. in Europe Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to UK#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

C. in Europe Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to Europe Zone#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

D. in UK: O2 UK# to Europe Zone#'s - making calls+SMS = Chargeable / receiving calls+SMS = Included

Europe Zone = 48 destinations:

EZ.jpg

- for Travel Incl. Zone: 

E. in Travel Incl. Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to UK#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

F. in Travel Incl. Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to Travel Incl. Zone#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

G. in UK: O2 UK# to Travel Incl. Zone#'s - making calls+SMS = Chargeable / receiving calls+SMS = Included

Travel Incl. Zone = 27 destinations (non-European): 

Tinc.Z.jpg

(= 75 destinations, total: Europe Zone + Travel Incl. Zone

So is my info above all correct or is anything wrong on it, or indeed anything else worth knowing? 

O2 forums: FAQs (guide links) / Start guides / Guidelines / Volt+roaming info / Guide: eSim iPhone-iPhone (legacy users) / WARNING: FaceTime/iMessage setup conflict.

macOS: MBP 16" 2021 M1 Max/8TB/64GB RAM Studio 2023 M2 Max 12c+38g+16n/2TB/96GB RAM.
iOS: iPhone 15 Pro Max blk/1TB iPad Mini 6 grey/5G/256GB iPad Pro 12.9" (2020) grey/4G/256GB.
other: Apple Watch Ultra 2 5G Apple TV (4th gen) 64GB [x2] Apple Studio Display vesa [x2].
Yes, Apple's vertical integration I like; but no fanboi, critical eyes kept firmly open.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@phonek wrote:

Yes. All carriers, all landlines, buthttps://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

And beware of: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Risks-of-googling-for-contact-numbers/m-p/1647065...

Oh and O2's own 0845... PAYG Top-up number: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Web-Top-Up-not-recognising-a-valid-O2-P...

B. in Europe Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to UK#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

Yes. With the caveats in (A) above, again.

C. in Europe Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to Europe Zone#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

Yes.  But as O2 PAYG get no 5G, it can be simpler to rely on your 25GB monthly roaming data (for up to 63 days, I think it is) and use WhatsApp for all calls and messages. Obviously banks etc may use SMS instead of push-messages to send you OTPs, so SMS free to receive.

D. in UK: O2 UK# to Europe Zone#'s - making calls+SMS = Chargeable / receiving calls+SMS = Included

Yes - all calls to any international number (including Ireland) from within the UK is chargeable, ditto for SMS. Note also Isle Of Man (IoM) and Channel Islands (CI) usually are all chargeable - Crown Dependencies and Crown Territories - check here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/calling-abroad-standard-rates and here: https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad (so keep your phone set to manual roaming selection when trundling across the Irish Sea from Scotland or England to Northern Ireland, as if you latch onto Manx Telecom (IoM) signal, you'll be charged!)

- for Travel Incl. Zone: 

E. in Travel Incl. Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to UK#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

Yes. Watch out for countries with no 3G, use same guidance as given at (C) above.

F. in Travel Incl. Zone (roaming): O2 UK# to Travel Incl. Zone#'s - making and receiving calls+SMS = Included

Calls in-country where travelling in that zone are included, calls to numbers outside of that country, regardless of whether the called country is a Travel-inclusive country or not, are excluded. (it's an international call again, as in (A)).

G. in UK: O2 UK# to Travel Incl. Zone#'s - making calls+SMS = Chargeable / receiving calls+SMS = Included

Yes, see (A) above.

Generally, "receiving SMS" is usually always free, for standard SMS (and not short-code or premium SMS), wherever you are.

More generally, this Guide: Roaming MegaGuide is the best point of reference, errors and omissions excepted (e&oe)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

phonek
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No responses, strangely? 😕

What's even the difference between these?: 

O2 Travel  (removed) 

vs. 

O2 Travel (for O2 Travel Inclusive Zone)  (added) 

my plan.jpg

Confusing? 

O2 forums: FAQs (guide links) / Start guides / Guidelines / Volt+roaming info / Guide: eSim iPhone-iPhone (legacy users) / WARNING: FaceTime/iMessage setup conflict.

macOS: MBP 16" 2021 M1 Max/8TB/64GB RAM Studio 2023 M2 Max 12c+38g+16n/2TB/96GB RAM.
iOS: iPhone 15 Pro Max blk/1TB iPad Mini 6 grey/5G/256GB iPad Pro 12.9" (2020) grey/4G/256GB.
other: Apple Watch Ultra 2 5G Apple TV (4th gen) 64GB [x2] Apple Studio Display vesa [x2].
Yes, Apple's vertical integration I like; but no fanboi, critical eyes kept firmly open.

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Volt gives you travel inclusive automatically, free use in the specified countries.

Anyone can opt in or out of standard O2 travel at £6 a day.

Volt Megaguide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

phonek
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Volt gives you travel inclusive automatically, free use in the specified countries.

Anyone can opt in or out of standard O2 travel at £6 a day.

Volt Megaguide 

Oh I see, rather confusing naming, lol! 

So having both bolt-ons means this?: 

Volt O2 Travel Inclusive Zone (means the extra 27 destinations of Travel Incl. Zone)

+ 

O2 Travel (for O2 Travel Inclusive Zone)  (means without having to pay £6/day when used) 

= per mth:  25GB data (unless you return to UK, as I mentioned above) 

= per day:  make 120mins calls / 120 SMS (unlimited receiving calls/SMS) 

While for the 48 destinations of the Europe Zone, all pay monthly plans already get the same data limit as above (25GB, if they're data plan is that level or higher), but unlimited make & receive calls. 

Is that all correct? 

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Yes @phonek 

Looks OK to me.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

phonek
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Yes @phonek 

Looks OK to me.

Thanks again - although I should have added the SMS, like this: 

While for the 48 destinations of the Europe Zone, all pay monthly plans already get the same data limit as above (25GB, if they're data plan is that level or higher), but unlimited make & receive calls and SMS

Message 6 of 10

phonek
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can smart enough to confirm or correct points C to G on the original post, though? 

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Yes, C - G  also correct @phonek 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@phonek wrote:

Yes. All carriers, all landlines, buthttps://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

And beware of: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Risks-of-googling-for-contact-numbers/m-p/1647065...

Oh and O2's own 0845... PAYG Top-up number: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Web-Top-Up-not-recognising-a-valid-O2-P...

Yes. With the caveats in (A) above, again.

Yes.  But as O2 PAYG get no 5G, it can be simpler to rely on your 25GB monthly roaming data (for up to 63 days, I think it is) and use WhatsApp for all calls and messages. Obviously banks etc may use SMS instead of push-messages to send you OTPs, so SMS free to receive.

Yes - all calls to any international number (including Ireland) from within the UK is chargeable, ditto for SMS. Note also Isle Of Man (IoM) and Channel Islands (CI) usually are all chargeable - Crown Dependencies and Crown Territories - check here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/calling-abroad-standard-rates and here: https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad (so keep your phone set to manual roaming selection when trundling across the Irish Sea from Scotland or England to Northern Ireland, as if you latch onto Manx Telecom (IoM) signal, you'll be charged!)

- for Travel Incl. Zone: 

Yes. Watch out for countries with no 3G, use same guidance as given at (C) above.

Calls in-country where travelling in that zone are included, calls to numbers outside of that country, regardless of whether the called country is a Travel-inclusive country or not, are excluded. (it's an international call again, as in (A)).

Yes, see (A) above.

Generally, "receiving SMS" is usually always free, for standard SMS (and not short-code or premium SMS), wherever you are.

More generally, this Guide: Roaming MegaGuide is the best point of reference, errors and omissions excepted (e&oe)

Message 9 of 10

phonek
  • 35 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn - Many thanks again. 

Great info – especially like the extra boxes of info/links to useful resources – post bookmarked! 😀

The worst thing is when you're caught out by charges because of some tiny thing, or something unknown or unclear. 

Message 10 of 10