Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable 4g

jg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I use a HUAWEI B818 4g router connected to a good external antenna. Postcode is L372eb. For 5 years I have paid over £20 pcm for data. It seldom works. Today it will not even loan internet speed checkers. At this location , a 400 caravan park there is no WiFi, no landline often no 2 g mobile signal. So often no access to emergency services. Ofcom say 02 is the only Signal here. Each year I raise this issue as a complaint to O2. Every time they say we are working on the mast but each year it gets worse. I am told the mast does not have enough’ back haul’  bandwidth?

It is a holiday destination so on sunny days no 4g. I know of several cases of my neighbours having to walk around the park in rain in the dark to get a 2g signal for an ambulance. Technically I am paying o2 for a service which is not fit for purpose. Of course their coverage map says good 4g. I know of over 100 caravans with 4g antennas many who tell me of unusable signal. I have spent over £600 on equipment but still often no 4g. Or less than 1 mbs. I  have a family member on the same park we can not phone each other we have to text! I believe o2 has a moral and customer safety liability to rectify this but they refuse. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23135 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@jg If there are offers to provide you with a reliable service, your issue is with the site owner. Not the telecom companies.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 17

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6649 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

The site owner should also supply a means of telephone access in emergencies. Check with the council regarding her obligations 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 12 of 17

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interesting that the maps show a good signal where it is poor but never a poor signal where it is good. Computer generated but who programs the computer?

Message 13 of 17

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Once when talking to o2 they told me they were investing in 5g not 4g but it would be some years before we got 5g. 

Message 14 of 17

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been told that it does not need a new mast just an increase in ‘ back haul’ to that mast. 

Message 15 of 17

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have to accept that o2 does not have liability for providing a useable service but they do take my £20 pcm claiming that 4g is good at this location. They may be liable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as they offer no solution or refund for their failure to provide the service they are paid for. What about customer service? What about customer safety? What about being fair to customers? Legal maybe ok but morally?

Message 16 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions

@jg 

Show me one major corporation with morals and I'll be the first to do business with them.

O2, like all other networks, service and utility providers are out to make as much money as possible for their shareholders at the customers expense. All we can do is vote with our feet, but they wouldn't care about that either.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 17