Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Charging Problems In America

AtomicUK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am hoping someone can help me as I am beyond my patience with O2 on this issue now so I am reaching out here for help.

For the last 4 visits to the USA since 2019, no matter what I do, O2 charge me £5 a day running which has run into many hundreds of pounds of additional costs.

I have turned off mobile data
I have turned off data roaming
I have even turned off the hidden wi-fi scanning that many don't know about.
I have tried airline mode.

The ONLY thing that stops O2 charging me their International fee is removing the sim which means I cannot take emergency calls.

I have now bought a US phone and set up a pre-paid contract, but there must be an answer as to how I can use the US Wi-Fi and take incoming calls on my main phone without me being charged the £5?

I have had every excuse from O2 and have even been told I am texting people (I almost never use text even in the UK!) and they never budge on their fees despite me disputing it from day 2 when I see they have charged again!

I've tried every O2 online Help service including Twitter and via the O2 App and the call centre, but nothing changes.

As I am here for many months at a time, please can anyone tell me what I can do (other than not use the O2 SIM) to stop these charges?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

Something very wrong there @AtomicUK 

I'll ask @O2Georgina to take a look tomorrow for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@AtomicUK 

Just checking, but are you using an iPhone or an Android phone capable of visual voicemail?

In both, the phone will send silent text messages to register for the services as you move between cell towers or turn phone off/on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 17

AtomicUK
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply.
Both phones are Google Pixels running Android.

Do you have any idea how I can stop these charges  and still use the Wi-Fi facility please?

Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@AtomicUK 

You need to go into the voicemail settings and turn off visual voicemail.

Also, before travelling, dial 1760 to completely turn off voicemail.

Message 4 of 17

AtomicUK
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am already back in the US so I assume I now cannot do as you mention above?

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@AtomicUK 

You can at least turn off VVM in the phone settings.

Dialling ##002# should also cancel all diverts, including standard voicemail.

Message 6 of 17

AtomicUK
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi
Thanks again.

I have turned off VVM in the phone settings and dialled ##002#
Mobile Data is turned off
Roaming is turned off
Wi-Fi Scanning is off

Is there anything else I need to do? (Not that I should have to do ALL those things)

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

That should cover it @AtomicUK 

Technology is a wonderful thing, isn't it wink

Message 8 of 17

AtomicUK
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Isn't it just!
Thank you so much for your help.

I'll leave the sim in one more day and see if I get charged again for the 6th!
I'll report back.... 🤔

Thanks once again.

Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 149614 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

Good luck mate 👍

Message 10 of 17