Did you mean: 

No MMS or Conference calling support

hecbu45
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,
ever since i switched to o2 from giffgaff i have been unable to send MMS messages (sadly i can’t use whatsapp). i have a £15 pay rolling plan and i also checked and do have £10 top up credit, so i don’t think its a billing issue. i am using a samsung galaxy s10 and have also tried an iPhone and a nokia e71 but all of them don’t work with MMS. i checked the APN settings and everything looks good, and i get an error of “not supported by network” or “multimedia message not accepted by message centre”. i have already called customer service and they did nothing, even after escalating the problem to a “network guru” who never called me back.

I also can’t place a call on hold (error is “not allowed” or “can’t switch calls”) and so therefore i can’t add a call and then press the button to merge calls. customer services have been useless, even after a “network reset”.

if anyone knows anything, then all your help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10509 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3083 Solutions

@hecbu45 

Conference calling  and Call Merging is not available on PAYG,  nor is 5G, and you would have been better staying with giffgaff which is owned by o2's parent. 

MMS is dead nowadays, and has been replaced by RCS,  Have you checked the MMS settings on the Handsets as to what the MMSC is saying on them

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

hecbu45
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

sorry, im a little confused by what you mean by "checked the MMS settings on the Handsets as to what the MMSC is saying on them" - the error message that i got is "multimedia msg. not accepted by message centre"

also, doesnt o2 still sell MMS bolt ons? i dont know what you mean by mms is dead and i dont know how i would enable RCS on my phone if MMS stopped working

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37191 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

hecbu45
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks! @pgn 

i looked at it but couldent find much, i think ill switch back to giffgaff...

thanks for all your help guys!

Message 5 of 11

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23439 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3740 Solutions

@hecbu45 Just curious as to why you say you can't use WhatsApp?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 11

hecbu45
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambinoi have to message family abroad with old cellphones so MMS is the easiest option, as its compatible everywhere

Message 7 of 11

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23439 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3740 Solutions

@hecbu45 You have to have your mobile data enabled on your phone to send am MMS. I believe it's 65p per message to send, so it can get expensive. Maybe you need to convince your family abroad to upgrade their phones so they can use WhatsApp, which would cost you nothing to send a photo if you send it over a Wifi connection. You can call, text and video call for free as well, and they can do the same over their WiFi if using the app. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to hold onto old cellphones which are costly for both you and them. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 11

hecbu45
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambinoi had my data turned on and wifi off but even then didnt work, family quite elderly so afraid new cellphone is not an option sadly

Message 9 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146425 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28171 Solutions

@hecbu45 

Have you tried resetting your network settings?

As giffgaff is essentially O2 your phone may not have updated to O2 specific settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 11