Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nintendo Switch OLED Download issues

DB2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, Iam having major issues with download speeds on a new Nintendo Switch OLED. 

Speed tests on the switch itself are nowhere near what I get on my laptop or iPhone, however I am getting 10Mb download and 8Mb upload which is reasonable. 

That being said when I actually download an app or update on the switch an 800 Mb file takes in the region on 24 HOURS to download so that just does not compute. 

I am running an O2 aim (unlimited data) in a TP link Archer. 

I have tried all of the other generic solutions but not yet found a resolution! HELP!!! 

cheers, 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@DB2 

Speeds for apps and updates are governed by the Nintendo server and how busy it is.

There's also a tip here that might help a little https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/guide_nintendo_switch_download_speed_slow_heres_how_to_fix...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

DB2
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, and thanks for your response! Appreciate it! 

I have since tethered to my work phone on EE and while the tested download/ upload speeds are lower the switch is now downloading an update as normal, 30 mins instead of 24 hours!

I have been through all of the tips that you have pointed to above and don’t help at all. 

I am 100% certain this in an O2 issue and not the switch itself or a bad combination of both that Nintendo and O2 don’t like together. Very very strange! 

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Maybe a port conflict issue with O2 then @DB2 but finding the issue would be very difficult I guess.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

DB2
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah ok! Well that’s way above my knowledge base! 😞 will have to do some reading! 

Message 5 of 12

DB2
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Absolutely none the wiser so far with this issue! 

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learning/network-layer/what-is-a-computer-port/

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@DB2 

It might be worth running some network traffic monitoring if the Archer supports this as some do and some are just basic routers. 

It is a shame you cant run Wireshark on the Switch, as this would show you the network and packet level traffic. 

The more I think about it, it could be the way that o2 is routing the traffic and its dropping packets, this is a problem with all Mobile Networks, and hence the 24 hours is the packets been retransmitted or not, so the connection is resetting.  It wont be a port as you would get no connection at all, and the Switch would just error instantly, unless Nintendo or receiving Data for example on port 22 and sending it back on 65431, then that is a Nintendo mis configuration, again with out packet level logs of the traffic from your router or device its impossible to tell. 

Unfortunately 4G suffers from packet loss and high latency, and to be fair for MBB, EE seems to have less latency and packet loss, in some areas and vice versa for o2... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 12

DB2
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for the reply, I did consider that regarding porting, and if an issue surely the download wouldn’t be slow it would be nonexistent? 

In regards to packet loss, as a test I downloaded a game to my iPhone through my home wifi with no issues at all. Surely that would be the same packet loss no matter of the data was headed to my phone or the switch on the same network?

It seems I’ve stumbled on a really complex issue… I can’t believe many others haven’t hit this problem before!

Message 9 of 12

DB2
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to add, I have no issue with streaming through YouTube on the switch. It’s purely during the download of data from the Nintendo network. There has to be a bottle neck there surely? 

Message 10 of 12