Did you mean: 

New O2 sim - no data / internet - help needed

Jenny_Locke_23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, 

I joined O2 on Wednesday 5th and put the new sim in my Google Pixel 7, I was porting my old number from another network so initially the sim worked with the new number provided with the sim.  On Friday 7th the sim card stopped working (no service for calls / text / mobile data).  I contacted O2 and was told a mast was down in the area which was why I had no service (my husband who I was with a lot of this time is on O2 and had no issues).  I was then told that they needed to escalate the issue and because on their records my new number had ported over to O2 but the team who needed to investigate didn’t work on weekends it would be sorted on Monday 10th. 

In the afternoon on Monday 10th I used the O2 webchat and was also told about the mast being down, however I questioned if this was really the issue I was experiencing.  They suggested I went to an O2 store to pick up a new sim card as it may be a faulty sim. I went straight to store and they gave me a new sim which instantly worked for calls and texts but no mobile data, I was told this could take up to 24 hours to work through.

By Wednesday 12th in the morning, I still had no mobile data signal. I spent around 2.5 hours on the O2 online chat with them asking me to check and reset various settings on my phone.  Eventually they said there was just the issue with the mast that would be the issue because they had nothing else they could suggest.  I gave up and left the chat as they couldn’t help me further.  Later that evening I tried my sim card in my husband's iPhone 12 where the sim also didn’t work, however when I tried his O2 sim card in my Pixel 7 it worked perfectly fine.

I’m at a loss as to what else to try, it’s now Thursday 13th and mobile data is still not connected.  According to the O2 Network coverage checker "looks like a nearby phone mast isn't as it should, sorry", however my husband's phone works perfectly fine on 4G and 5G.  Why would the mast be an issue for my phone and not his?  Do I need to travel somewhere where there isn't a mast issue to be successfully connected?

Please can anyone help with a proven solution to the issue above.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Spenny
Level 16: Talkative
  • 341 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Hi @Jenny_Locke_23 

assuming you have data - just check your MyO2 to see if you have any data left https://mymobile.o2.co.uk/

I know you should but.......

Would also check the APN (access point name) between your and your husband's phone. Usually under settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Network

If all that is fine, then ask O2 customer services to resend the network settings config to your phone.

My son had similar recently.  No network and tried everything.  They sent the new config settings and within a few hours it was all ok.

Phone: Motorola G100, 128GB, Android 12, SIMO 20Gb
Broadband: Virgin 350Mb, Tp-Link Router - Deco S4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
We are a community of customers and cannot access your account.
To contact O2 click here for O2 Social Media Links
Message 2 of 4

Jenny_Locke_23
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Spenny I will request they send that.

I have plenty of data as this is a new package and have also checked the APN.

Thank you for the suggestions

Message 3 of 4

joelord
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Jenny_Locke_23 

This sounds very similar to an issue I am having on my Pixel 7a. I am trying to cancel my O2 contract because of it but they are trying to charge me the remaining £390 of the contract despite me never receiving the service I am paying them for !

Please can you let me know if you ever got this resolved ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 4