Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issue

dar4p
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My Virgin mobile suggests it has a 5G signal when I'm at work PO4 8RA (sometimes drops to 4G) but browsing and app usage is very slow.

e.g. Linkedin can fail to grab any content and suggest to retry after a minute, similar experience with other apps.

Any thoughts on this please? I have restarted my phone and checked status checkers and all should be fine. At home and elsewhere its fine.

We do have a mast less than 1/4 from my work location so surprised its so poor.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dar4p
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the message and the links.

Just in case anyone reads the thread my workaround that I found was to turn off 5G on my phone. I now have a consistent 4G connection and apps actually now work. Doesn’t resolve the full issue but at least my phone is useable at work now. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11406 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3154 Solutions

@dar4p 

Just because a mast is 1/4 mile away doesnt mean you will connect to that mast, you may connect to one further away, and that location which is surrounded by a football ground and lots of places that would interfere with Mobile Signal penetration could be the cause.

Also some phones will latch onto 5G when it has the minutest of signal available, and that post code has no 5G according to the coverage checker.  So this would be why data is so slow and not working..

madasaf1sh_0-1665666735475.png

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 6

dar4p
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the explanation and completely understand. I based this on non-match days as there are very few staff, appreciate on a match day I just write it off! 🙂 the checker I used was below but better to use the official O2 for coverage. I would have thought a good 4G signal though would still let me use apps properly rather than what im seeing so far.

dar4p_0-1665668354976.png

Message 3 of 6

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7810 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

From O2 status page. Looks like this is one of the areas that suffers with congestion. It may not be just matchdays

Screenshot_20221013-145825_Chrome.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23944 Posts
  • 1044 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@dar4p The O2 coverage checker is just a computer guesstimate and no better than what you used. These guides probably won't help, but they're worth a look:

How can I sort out my network issues? - o2uk

Why do I have poor coverage indoors? (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

dar4p
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the message and the links.

Just in case anyone reads the thread my workaround that I found was to turn off 5G on my phone. I now have a consistent 4G connection and apps actually now work. Doesn’t resolve the full issue but at least my phone is useable at work now. 

Message 6 of 6