Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a fixed Mac address on mobile data

Samkc87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good evening, I use an application for work to access sensitive data that I need to access through my phone. Part of the security is a Mac address check. It's fine on WiFi as I've set the Mac address to be fixed as my device Mac address on my galaxy S21 plus. The problem I'm having is my mac address keeps changing on my mobile data. Is there anyway to have this as a fixed mac address?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't know. Its really strange. Just got a friend to use the What is my mac address app on his android and turn off WiFi and leave data off and restart his phone and every time his mac address changes too.
Message 11 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'd guess that there is a setting somewhere to use "random hardware adresses".

Check the network / hardware settings etc.

It won't be physically changing but just reporting spoof addresses.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've checked everywhere. I found a setting with specific WiFi networks allowing me to choose between mac address type (choice of "phone mac" or "randomised address") which I've set to phone mac which gives me a fixed mac when connected to that Wireless network but there is no option for mobile data anywhere
Message 13 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Samkc87 

It seems like it's built into the ROM on mobile phones these days.

Found this that seems to have been implemented since android 6. 

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization#:~:text=MAC%20randomization%2....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah I saw that and you have the ability to turn it off for WiFi but doesn't appear you can for mobile data.
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You'd need to root your phone to modify the code I guess, not really an option unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samkc87 To access a secure server with a reserved MAC address (Your work) You will need your device set to it's genuine MAC address and this MAC address needs to be the same as the ones logged by the server/router.

That's the whole point of the security feature.

Message 17 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes I know. That's the issue. There is no way of setting my phone to its genuine mac address unless I'm on WiFi.
Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Looks like it's not possible to do on mobile data unfortunately unless there is an app out there that will do it?

Currently using:
Message 19 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've looked through 3rd party apps and can only find ones that will do it on WiFi. Lol
Message 20 of 22