cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Virgin Media - I want to update my name on the account no option available :-(

Mark2Dee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a shared account on VM, as part of move to O2 we have ended up with the same name on both accounts.

If I go to "Edit your personal details" there is a message that says: "If you need to change your name or date of birth, you’ll need to upload a supporting form of ID".

Why would a mobile provider like O2 need to have access to your ID, this is data is PII (Personal Identifiable Information) and is subject to GDPR rules, so should not be requested.

Anyhow, how do you "upload a supporting form of ID" there is no option to do this 😞

M

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Mark2Dee
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi gpn, thanks you for reply.

Unfortunately links go to information that reinforces my view that O2 don't understand what are the rules on PII (Personal Identifiable Information) and GDPR rules.

I can't be bothered going through the rigmarole required by O2 to change account details, I'll leave at as is.

M

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10634 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@Mark2Dee 

They have to prove to regulatory authorities and them that you are who you say you are to protect you and them from fraud and it falls under reasonable usage to request identification from you..

Take it up with the ICO and o2 DPO if you think its wrong....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

roziepozie
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Mark2Dee wrote:

Anyhow, how do you "upload a supporting form of ID" there is no option to do this 😞

This is the problem. The agent screwed my name up on setting up my new account on the phone, then told me I had to manually get it changed myself as they couldn't do it. They told me I'd be sent an SMS with a link to upload docs, but the SMS simply says "please upload docs to get this done" WITHOUT the docs upload link! How completely effing stupid a system can you create O2?! 

I ended up finding their name change form myself, and added a scan of my ID doc on the second page of the PDF, and emailing it to changeofname@o2.com with my account details. I still had to phone them to get the thing done after that, too. 

Completely shambolic system O2 have for this, especially when it is THEIR error in getting names wrong in the first place. 

Message 5 of 5