cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to work VPN when using Personal Hotspot on mobile.

KHarri71
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When my home internet is  not working I connect to my personal hotspot and connect to my work VPN.  I have been able to do this when I was with Vodafone and Smarty, I recently moved to O2 and tested it yesterday and retested today but my 02 phone personal hotspot with my work VPN will not let me connect. I then tested with my sons phone who is still with smarty and it worked straight away.  I have checked with our providers at work as I work within the IT department so had a quick response and they confirm nothing is being blocked from O2.  All other phone networks don't have any issues connecting this way.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10509 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3082 Solutions

@KHarri71 

What error message are you getting when trying to connect to the VPN,  Also what is the VPN client you are using... 

As it could be down to the CGNAT that o2 use, it could also be an IP Block on the firewall, what happens when your IT Team run a packet trace / capture on the VPN Concentrators? Or on your local machine.  

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

KHarri71
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your quick reply.  I have disconnect from the VPN and my usual method of connecting.  I have connect to my hotspot on my iphone to reply to this thread.  So my hotspot is working.

The error I get when I click connect on the VPN is:-

The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could be established because the remote server is not responding.  This could be because one of the network devices (e.g, firewalls, NAT, routers, etc) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VON connections.  Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem.

When I connect I go to the Network and Internet - VPN within settings and click Connect to the vpn which has been setup - there isn't a download client like Sophos vpn, hope that makes sense.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10509 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3082 Solutions

@KHarri71 

So this is either Direct Connect or SSL VPN. 

You will need to let your IT Team diagnose the issue, as it could be that there is an IP Block on the VPN Service, and they can find out quite easily by doing some packet capture on both sides of the VPN tunnel, so your machine and the VPN server.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

KHarri71
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can confirm it is SSL VPN.

However I'm in the office today and have been issued with a new laptop, I have tested my O2 and VPN and it has connected fine.  I have handed back the little desktop I had and informed IT as it may be an issue with the device.  If I find out it was the device and what the issue was I will update this ticket.

Thank you for all your quick responses.  

Message 5 of 5