Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch error reference code 106 when setting up mobile service

Al56
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I ported from Tesco Mobile to O2 over 26/09 to 27/09 in anticipation of the new iPhone 15 (sim free) and Apple Watch Series 9 (cellular) I collected and set up on 27/09. The mobile has been set up with no problems on a SIM only type Airtime Plan. But when attempting to add mobile service via the Watch app I am getting the error code that is mentioned in other threads. That is, something went wrong please call customer services on 202 and quote reference code 106. Trouble customer services have no knowledge regarding this code. I see that this has been a common problem for those porting from Tesco Mobile to O2 which in some cases has taken 6 months to resolve. If O2 tech have solved the problem in some cases I am puzzled as to why there I not a published work round. Any help anyone can give as to what I should do would be gratefully received. Thanks I advance. Al

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36669 Posts
  • 236 Topics
  • 1636 Solutions

You will need to contact O2, calling 202 after 08:05 UK time is a good time, or reach out to the O2 Social Media Team via the link just below. Persist - it has been solved for others, and if no joy, there is a 14-day return policy you can use, if no progress. Good luck, @Al56.

Message 2 of 8

djaychela
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any joy with this?

Message 3 of 8

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6588 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Al56  @djaychela 

Looking at the Community Forums of the other network operators, this problem with setting up Apple watches is not just confined to O2.   

Message 4 of 8

djaychela
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Al56- please post here as to whether or not you got this sorted in the end, thanks!

Message 5 of 8

Al56
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The ref Code 106 seems specifically to be an O2 situation. I have previously taken a look at other network operators' forums and yes other providers do have other Apple Watch issues. But they seem to better at resolving the problems. I could be wrong of course and won't find out until I try other providers. So in short no I have not sorted this and probably never will. I am now trying to leave O2 within the cooling off period - this has generated further problems which I am in contact with CS about. When I do get success re setting the watch up then I will post but it is extremely unlikely to have been with O2.

Message 6 of 8

Al56
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update of sorts. 

From what I have learnt porting from Tesco Mobile may not be the source of the problem here.

It seemed likely from looking at many conversations on this forum that O2 were not going to resolve the issue of adding an Apple Watch to my plan without a disproportionate amount of calls to their CS over a long period of time.

So Airtime Plan cancelled 9 October within the cooling off period with intention of temporarily porting to a PAYG. I did not want to lose my number of 20 years plus and wasn’t’ sure at that stage which provider I was moving to. I won’t go into details but just getting the right SIM card and finding out what to do next was not easy. O2 shops seem to have a reluctance to speak to their CS on your behalf and generally speaking tell you to make the call yourself.

That porting did not happen. Many calls over many days taking many hours. Probably the worst customer service I have ever experienced: calls of around one hour in some cases, failure to understand the problem, frequently cut off, broken promises, weak explanations, criticism of colleagues.

The problem seems to be the way O2 have set up their CS structure. In particular an apparent lack of written procedures. Every call revealed another possible reason for the delay in a simple request being actioned.

So I made a formal complaint in October requesting that my relationship with O2 be terminated without further delay. It took a time for that to happen and it meant losing my original number of 20 plus years but so worth it.

Once I was fairly confident the contract with O2 had been terminated I set up a new plan with another provider. It took a couple of calls to get the watch added but it was done in a few days without the need for hour long calls to people who did not know what to do. And the other provider is much cheaper.

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6588 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Al56 

Thank you for the update ; pleased to see that you seem to have reached finality. 👍

Message 8 of 8