Did you mean: 

upgrade - sim only, device...query!

ruby2shoes
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I currently have an O2 refresh unlimited 30GB tariff. I have paid for the device in full.

I am 'due' an upgrade. 

Bar a few cracks, I don't need or want to change my device, so can i just upgrade to a sim only package? 

Will i have to have a new sim, or will it just change the tariff each month on my account, and i don't physically need to do anything?

If i purchase a sim only tariff, and during that tariff, I need a new device, will I be able to just get a device, and keep that sim tariff, or will there be complications? 

Am i able to get any of the sim packages on the pay monthly, 24 months or 12 months options available on the O2 shop? 

Any other thoughts/advice welcome... I am sooo not in the upgrade / phone industry game!! 

Thank you !

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11962 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

Quite a few points to get through there @ruby2shoes so I'll answer them in order...

@ruby2shoes wrote:

so can i just upgrade to a sim only package? 

Yes.

There should be an option for SIM only on one of the screens (at the bottom where they suggest new devices if I remember correctly).

@ruby2shoes wrote:

Will i have to have a new sim, or will it just change the tariff each month on my account, and i don't physically need to do anything?

Depends on which option you choose.

If your sim is relatively new then it might cover 5G already.

So long as your current sim works then there is no need to request a new sim, and the new tariff will just be added to your current one.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

If i purchase a sim only tariff, and during that tariff, I need a new device, will I be able to just get a device, and keep that sim tariff, or will there be complications? 

Possibly.

Normally o2 will allow for upgrades directly through themselves after 3 months of a sim only tariff, so if you go through them for a new device (and another new tariff) you should be fine.

If you instead choose to buy a new phone separately (from any other retailer, such as Amazon or John Lewis) then you just put your current sim in the new phone and... it should just work!

You might run into issues if you want to upgrade via a 3rd party instead of o2, but buying a new device would be fine.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

Am i able to get any of the sim packages on the pay monthly, 24 months or 12 months options available on the O2 shop? 

You should be able to, yes. 

It might need a call to a customer advisor/trip to your local o2 shop but all of the tariffs on the o2 shop should be available to you when you upgrade.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

Any other thoughts/advice welcome... I am sooo not in the upgrade / phone industry game!! 

There is some advice on the process in the guide below, but if you get stuck have more questions then please come back and we will help where we can and offer suggestions where we can't!

Guide: Upgrading Your O2 Phone 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11962 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

Quite a few points to get through there @ruby2shoes so I'll answer them in order...

@ruby2shoes wrote:

so can i just upgrade to a sim only package? 

Yes.

There should be an option for SIM only on one of the screens (at the bottom where they suggest new devices if I remember correctly).

@ruby2shoes wrote:

Depends on which option you choose.

If your sim is relatively new then it might cover 5G already.

So long as your current sim works then there is no need to request a new sim, and the new tariff will just be added to your current one.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

Possibly.

Normally o2 will allow for upgrades directly through themselves after 3 months of a sim only tariff, so if you go through them for a new device (and another new tariff) you should be fine.

If you instead choose to buy a new phone separately (from any other retailer, such as Amazon or John Lewis) then you just put your current sim in the new phone and... it should just work!

You might run into issues if you want to upgrade via a 3rd party instead of o2, but buying a new device would be fine.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

You should be able to, yes. 

It might need a call to a customer advisor/trip to your local o2 shop but all of the tariffs on the o2 shop should be available to you when you upgrade.

@ruby2shoes wrote:

There is some advice on the process in the guide below, but if you get stuck have more questions then please come back and we will help where we can and offer suggestions where we can't!

Guide: Upgrading Your O2 Phone 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 3

mobilemandan
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 47 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

May be worth having a look on uSwitch (hope im allowed to say that if not please delete)

The great thing with O2 is they let you upgrade to uSwitch deals so for example there is a 12M SIMO for £10 with 20GB data right now, just one example I think £12 is 30GB too.

Just go on uSwitch, search for O2 SIM ONLY and pick what you want, it directs you to the O2 site and when you log in it will ask do you want a new number or upgrade your existing, just pick upgrade existing and you keep the same number, same sim, just get a cracking deal!

Message 3 of 3