cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsolicited premium sms

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesterday I received two text messages from 63320 both identical message.

New Sexy Babe Videos Uploaded Weekly. Need help? Call 08081349827 SP:Intrugo
txt Stop to 63320 to opt out

Now I have never signed up for a premium sms service and checked and sure enough £3.33 has been charged against my account.

I phoned up customer services to be told text stop and that I had subscribed to ITV premium number. I never new that ITV offered "sexy babe videos" I also have no recollection of ever asking for these texts. Basically I feel scammed
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

After several 'discussions' with O2 who insisted the charge on my O2 bill was nothing to do with them they eventually reimbursed the unsolicited charges. I also reported the matter to Phonepay Plus who investigated and after 6 months I received the following update in April 2016. Hope this may help others.

Glamour video subscription service operating on various shortcodes

I am writing to advise you of the outcome of your complaint to PhonepayPlus.

As you may be aware, PhonepayPlus supervises both the content and advertising for premium rate services.  PhonepayPlus develops and applies a Code of Practice (“the Code”) to the companies which operate premium rate services (providers). These companies are bound by their contract with the Network operators or Level 1 providers to comply with the requirements of this Code.

In response to your complaint about this service, the Executive commenced an investigation.

Investigation

The Executive received complaints for the service and its promotion by the provider, Intrugo Limited. Complaints were received from consumers stating that the service charges were unsolicited.

These complaints suggested that the service may be in breach of the Code.

Adjudications

The case subsequently went before a Panel for adjudication and its decision was that the service was in breach of the Code of Practice.

Due to the nature of the breaches, the Panel imposed the following sanctions:

• A formal reprimand;
  • A fine of £250,000;
  • A requirement that Intrugo Limited provider remedy the breach by ensuring that it has robust verification of each consumer’s consent to be charged before making any further charge to the consumer, including for existing subscribers to the service; and
  • A requirement that Intrugo Limited provider must refund all consumers who claim a refund, for the full amount spent by them on the service, within 28 days of their claim, save where there is good cause to believe that such claims are not valid, and provide evidence to PhonepayPlus that such refunds have been made.

You will also be able to view the details of the adjudication on our website www.phonepayplus.org.uk which have now been published.

Refund Claims

Should you wish to discuss a refund in respect of the cost of any interaction you have incurred due to the service, you will need to contact Intrugo Limited, setting out your case. Intrugo Limited’s details are as follows:

Email: cs@intrugo.com

Telephone: 08081349827

Please note that PhonepayPlus cannot assist in making claims for refunds.

At PhonepayPlus we are continually looking at ways in which we can improve our service. We would be grateful for your feedback on the service you have received. You can do this by accessing the following link:

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/For-the-Public/Provide-Feedback.aspx

Yours sincerely

PhonepayPlus

0300 30 300 20

Message 11 of 16

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Good outcome. Well done 🙂
Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Excellent news @Anonymous So pleased for you. Thanks also for posting such a comprehensive and detailed update. It made for fascinating reading. I had no idea that level of fine could be imposed wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had my contract disconnected as of an unpaid bill that was unexpectedly high. It seems contracted been terminated as received a bill for what is owed due to phone being cut off. I can now pay the bill but will I keep my contract? Been a customer over 15 years first time this has ever happened to me. Will be distraught if I lose my number
Message 14 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

This is why I published my guide on who to contact regarding premium rate charges 

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premiu...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had my contract disconnected as of an unpaid bill that was unexpectedly high. It seems contracted been terminated as received a bill for what is owed due to phone being cut off. I can now pay the bill but will I keep my contract? Been a customer over 15 years first time this has ever happened to me. Will be distraught if I lose my number

Hi @Anonymous You need to contact customer services to discuss your options. http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You will probably have to pay a re-connection fee though customer services are the only people who can let you know... Best of luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 16