cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im looking for some help, i have a galaxy alpha i bought at heathrow (pay as you go, over 2 years) LOCKED to o2, yet when i ask to get it unlocked I cant seem to get any help. I had a previous phone a c3322 which i had registered and i took the sim from that and used it in my alpha, i didnt put the alpha on my account page. Now i have deleted the c3322 hoping to put in my alphas imei etc to register it, but see that if i want to do that it will text me, lol. i lost the sim ages ago, and im now in singapore and wanting to use my alpha. I even went as far as putting an extra £15 on the lost sim so that i can get it unlocked, this is a pretty aggravating circumstance, ive bought a phone and its locked to o2, yet when i last asked i got told as it wasnt an o2 shop they cant unlock it.....WTF, to be honest i dont give a monkeys what shop i bought it in, i was LOCKED in to O2 so O2 should be the ones to deal with it. a sim unlock code isnt a lot to ask for after two years of being locked into your network.

Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12621 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions
well i've only got 30 odd years more of working, so...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 81 of 90

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125995 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try....

LOLHappy Dance

Which was exactly the point of me posting.  Not trying to get a discussion going here amongst us. We have done that for 9 pages. Just hoping that someone from the community team may have popped back to read the evidence on here and agree there are many issues with the unlock process and they could go and review it. But no matter. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 82 of 90

gmarkj
  • 12621 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions

I know. Was just trying (and failing) to be humorous...

Plus I work for a large multinational. Trying to implement any change (even if only local) is seriously hard work and often resisted even if official line is proved wrong...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 83 of 90

MI5
  • 149409 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

Plus I work for a large multinational. Trying to implement any change (even if only local) is seriously hard work and often resisted even if official line is proved wrong...

That just about sums up the problem with O2 - always will be too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 84 of 90

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys, here's some info to try and to help to further understand. For unlocks, there may be some exceptions to what we can/cannot unlock as we mentioned here. This could depend on different factors including agreements that a seller may have in place with O2. That being said, in general O2 can only unlock handsets that have been purchased directly from them – as has been the case for a number of years.

Bottom line though is if you have a device you want to get unlocked, check out our unlock page here or our iPhone unlock page here. You can also request an unlock via the My O2 app, and don’t forget you can contact us here too to request an unlock. If your device didn’t come from O2 and we’re unable to unlock it, this will be because we weren’t supplied an unlock code from the manufacturer. In such instances, you’d need to return to the point of sale for further advice.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 85 of 90

MI5
  • 149409 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Quick question if you could check please Toby.
Where would a device locked to O2 come from, if not from O2?
What I mean is, can a seller obtain network locked devices from other sources, rather than the networks, and if so, what justification would there be for those devices to be locked if they weren't provided by said networks?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 86 of 90

gmarkj
  • 12621 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions
To be devils advocate, did the device come from o2 originally (ie, before it was at CEX)? If so, maybe that's why they can unlock it?
Or am i talking rubbish and it was locked to another network?

Message 87 of 90

MI5
  • 149409 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
The question I asked above yours is key to all this....
Message 88 of 90

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The question I asked above yours is key to all this....

Bet you don't get a straight answer......a politician's answer perhaps

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 89 of 90

jonsie
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

A phone locked to O2 is surely supplied by O2 to whatever outlet that sells it on to the customer. Or maybe phones allocated to O2 but then for various reasons (surpluss) rerouted to other retailers? I know all about the iphone fisaco with CPW, that isn't the issue.

AS sais, we need to know under what circumstances phones locked to O2 are supplied by independents.

Message 90 of 90