cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im looking for some help, i have a galaxy alpha i bought at heathrow (pay as you go, over 2 years) LOCKED to o2, yet when i ask to get it unlocked I cant seem to get any help. I had a previous phone a c3322 which i had registered and i took the sim from that and used it in my alpha, i didnt put the alpha on my account page. Now i have deleted the c3322 hoping to put in my alphas imei etc to register it, but see that if i want to do that it will text me, lol. i lost the sim ages ago, and im now in singapore and wanting to use my alpha. I even went as far as putting an extra £15 on the lost sim so that i can get it unlocked, this is a pretty aggravating circumstance, ive bought a phone and its locked to o2, yet when i last asked i got told as it wasnt an o2 shop they cant unlock it.....WTF, to be honest i dont give a monkeys what shop i bought it in, i was LOCKED in to O2 so O2 should be the ones to deal with it. a sim unlock code isnt a lot to ask for after two years of being locked into your network.

Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149417 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
Yes, we would all agree and have been saying the same for years.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 71 of 90

Cleoriff
  • 125998 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Look I am getting confused now and it doesnt take much!

*Firstly I thought if it was an O2 locked phone (wherever purchased) then O2 had to unlock it

*Then after much discussion @Toby stated http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/unlock-my-phone/m-p/982414/highlight/true#M11502...   "O2 can only unlock handsets that have been sold directly by us via an O2 shop, O2 telesales or O2 website. Devices purchased elsewhere cannot be unlocked by us directly – we can only generate unlatching codes for our own devices. We understand this may cause some frustration, but we simply don’t have the means to unlatch a handset that does not ‘belong’ to us".

* Now since that info we have had two or three locked O2 devices..  NOT bought from O2 ...which have been unlocked by them??

Excuse me for sounding dim but what is the correct advice?. I think it's important to know, particularly when we are advising others.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 72 of 90

MI5
  • 149417 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
We've proved that regardless of what o2 think "should" happen, the advice we have been giving for years is still actually correct. Although now, I guess, O2 have a reason to refuse if it requires any additional work on their behalf.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 73 of 90

Cleoriff
  • 125998 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
We've proved that regardless of what o2 think "should" happen, the advice we have been giving for years is still actually correct. Although now, I guess, O2 have a reason to refuse if it requires any additional work on their behalf.

But surely the 'evidence' of recent unlockings shows whatever O2 are saying....the advice is flawed/incorrect/ worse than useless. Sorry if I am sounding pedantic, but I try hard when giving advice to stick to official guidance....or approved help links. This 9 page thread has conflicting advice all the way through it Rich. That's out of order. If someone asks me how to unlock their phone...I dont want to give them the usual advice...only for someone from O2 to rock up and say that's wrong.....(as happened on this thread)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 74 of 90

MI5
  • 149417 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
But we've proved (3 times) it's not wrong.
Message 75 of 90

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12621 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions
I think that the trials run from here (and the experience of the people who have advice from here) shows that while the official line from o2 might be "anything not bought from us can't be unlocked by us", in reality they will (which is actually more helpful).
In all honesty if anything needs to change it will be the official policy/statement, and the response you get when it is a "sorry we can't help" so that those owners can find out what to do next.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 76 of 90

Cleoriff
  • 125998 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

I agree it's the 'official statement' that requires changing...which is why I tagged @Toby into the thread again. I am NOT disputing any of the evidence of the experienced users here. I just get infuriated when the official line differs from the reality....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 77 of 90

MI5
  • 149417 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
I'm sure there are hundreds of occasions where the official company line differs from the reality.
We'll never fix them all......
Message 78 of 90

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12621 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions

but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try....

LOLHappy Dance

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 79 of 90

MI5
  • 149417 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
How long have you got ? tongue
Message 80 of 90