cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Refresh Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey I wonder if any one could offer their opinion on this matter below. I'm on a Pay Monthly o2 Refresh 24 month contract, expiring Sept 2016. On November 30th I noticed an offer on the o2 homepage that offered o2 about experiencing 30gb on iPhone 6s Plus and how o2 would offer my next upgrade on them. So I followed the link and it said on the page 'Upgrade after 12 months, on us, with our 30gb tariff'. As I was past the 12 month mark and logged in to my account, I could make an upgrade so chose the iPhone 6s Plus 128gb, paid the Up front cost and selected what I thought was my new tariff. It all went through ok and I picked up my new iPhone that day at the store below my office. Nothing was mentioned at the pick up, and I asked if I needed to put in the new sim given - but was told there was no need. I thought nothing of it, and continued to use my new phone with my original sim.

Yesterday I checked my bank account and noticed that there were two payment from o2 had come out, which I found odd as I had received no notification via text, email or letter - which I usually do when my bill is due. I logged in to my o2 account and there are now two numbers under my account. I also received my bill for my original account - so figured there had been a mix up and contacted o2 Chat. They told me that I'd in fact bought myself a new o2 refresh contract, rather than upgrade. As this was past the 14 day cooling off period there is nothing I can do other than to continue or pay the full contract out to exit.

When I checked the o2 site I see that the 'upgrade' info has now change to include 'more details' about trading the old phone - which definitely didn't exist at the time on 30th Nov. I'm a fairly savvy guy, and checked the site for further details at the time, to ensure that I wasn't getting myself in to anything daft.

As o2 never sent me the bill to charge me for the new o2 Refresh do I have a case to cancel? If I had seen the bill prior to the money being taken from my account, I would have had the information to cancel during the 14 day cooling off period.

I wondered if you could let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Gary.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're the first we have heard of that was confused by it tbh.
You can try the complaints route http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain but I do honestly think this is down to your mis-understanding, sorry.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The 30gb free upgrade deal is only available next year if you take an iPhone this year. It was never a free to upgrade to offer.
You should have paid off your old device plan and cancelled that contract before starting a new on on the iPhone 6s.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that is clear now, but however I don't think it was clearly set out on the site at the time. I certainly wouldn't have taken out another o2 Refresh contract for an additional £70 a month, if I had known what I know now. I find it odd that no notification was sent regarding the new bill.  Also I don't recall setting up a new direct debit for these bills. I find it all a little odd. If I go through the same process now, it looks like there are new steps in place which didn't exist on 30/11. Maybe I'm not the only one in this situation, and o2 have screwed up.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're the first we have heard of that was confused by it tbh.
You can try the complaints route http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain but I do honestly think this is down to your mis-understanding, sorry.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Golden rule, always read the small print.. And the big print wink
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As you've gone past the cooling off date it looks like you're out of luck. The complaints procedure looks like your best bet.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Which part of "if you buy an iPhone 6S on our 30gb tariff, your next upgrade is on us" confused you exactly?
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The OP says it wasn't showing previously but I'm fairly sure I read it previously and understood it was the next upgrade....

Message 8 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
The word 'next' I believe, as OP appears to have taken this literally and believe the next upgrade was being done at time of order, just like any other upgrade and so making the entire statement pointless.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I read it as my 'next upgrade' is on o2 if I experience 30gb on an iPhone 6s Plus. My 'next upgrade' was from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6s Plus - which is why I thought the upgrade was on o2. I didn't read it as my upgrade from iPhone 6s Plus to iPhone 7.

Message 10 of 13