Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Pay & Go VS Giff Gaff

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Been doing some speed tests on o2 payg 4g and tested it against giff gaff 4g tested same type phones one o2 other on giff gaff with full signal on both and at different o2 cell sites

Here is what i found 02 payg is always a min of 4x faster data speeds than giff gaff so if i get 12mb on giff gaff i will get around 48mb on o2 payg

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Does O2 business SIM performance differs for different scale or subscription type of the companies? because O2 business tariff looks less expensive than consumer tariff for small business plans.
Message 11 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
You have to add VAT to the advertised business tariff prices.
They offer benefits for businesses but not ideally suited to normal consumers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 30

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Well not off topic as business has been mentioned.

But if you like the use of myo2 do not go to business as the business version is flash based and no app as yet. Due to the separate platforms the billing systems are on.

I am not sure on data speed priority but will be able to test on a personal account contract (mine) and my stepdads business contract . I will use the same handset my iPhone 6s to rule out handset issues in a known good 4g area near me . And will post results when conducted the tests. But have seen very good data speeds on 4g as posted in other threads (near a military installation)

Perhaps @Toby could get clarification 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 13 of 30

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

There is also one more variable when a business contract is used, the APN.

In O2 Pay Monthly, O2 Mobile Web(mobile.o2.co.uk) is used. In a business tariff, it is also available unless the company does not allow access to it. However, there may also be Mobile Web VPN and bearer service which will bypass certain firewall and gateway of O2 and may lead to performance difference.

Message 14 of 30

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Mtpas is on an as requested basis and is only priority when the network has received an order requesting priority over general use.
Message 15 of 30

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@evantkh wrote:

There is also one more variable when a business contract is used, the APN.

In O2 Pay Monthly, O2 Mobile Web(mobile.o2.co.uk) is used. In a business tariff, it is also available unless the company does not allow access to it. However, there may also be Mobile Web VPN and bearer service which will bypass certain firewall and gateway of O2 and may lead to performance difference.

Bypass can be used on consumer tariffs too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 16 of 30

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I think you misunserstand my meaning. The "bypass" you said is just for bypassing the optimization when using mobile.o2.co.uk APN. What I am saying is the bearer service is actually bypassing the whole O2 IP network and use a customer provided IP address and gateway, something like MPLS VPN.

Message 18 of 30

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
I don't know what you are saying tbh - A vpn can be used with the standard apn too?

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 19 of 30

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Something like a metro network, but don't need the end user to connect to VPN explicitly.

http://www.es.hkbn.net/en/services-data-metronet.shtml?t=enterprise

To be even clearer, companies may have their own APN for access.

Message 20 of 30