cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep my existing number

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have signed up to keep my existing number from giffgaff to my new O2 simplicity sim card. How long will it take to transfer and how will I know when it has transferred?
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's usyally within 24 hours.

Pac link http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427...

"Once you've given us your PAC:

Note down any important numbers or calendar reminders on your old sim card or mobile, as these won't be transferred. If there's any text or picture messages you'd like to keep, forward them to the temporary mobile number attached to your new sim.
Fill out the Keep my number form. You'll need the following info:
The mobile number you want to keep
The temporary mobile number attached to your new O2 sim - you'll find this on the confirmation letter if you ordered online, or on the sim pack or contract if you bought in-store
Your sim card number
Once you've completed the form, you'll get a confirmation email and text.
On the transfer day, we'll send you another text to keep you up to date.
After this, you'll lose service on your existing mobile number and your O2 sim card. This is perfectly normal, so don't worry.
When you've lost service, make sure you have your new O2 sim in your phone. Switch it off and on every couple of hours until you get an O2 signal. If this doesn't appear, get in touch and we'll sort it out for you."

If you run into any difficulties then first contact the network Cust serv your moving from for help and then O2.

Try re booting your phone to help the connection.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's usyally within 24 hours.

Pac link http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427...

"Once you've given us your PAC:

Note down any important numbers or calendar reminders on your old sim card or mobile, as these won't be transferred. If there's any text or picture messages you'd like to keep, forward them to the temporary mobile number attached to your new sim.
Fill out the Keep my number form. You'll need the following info:
The mobile number you want to keep
The temporary mobile number attached to your new O2 sim - you'll find this on the confirmation letter if you ordered online, or on the sim pack or contract if you bought in-store
Your sim card number
Once you've completed the form, you'll get a confirmation email and text.
On the transfer day, we'll send you another text to keep you up to date.
After this, you'll lose service on your existing mobile number and your O2 sim card. This is perfectly normal, so don't worry.
When you've lost service, make sure you have your new O2 sim in your phone. Switch it off and on every couple of hours until you get an O2 signal. If this doesn't appear, get in touch and we'll sort it out for you."

If you run into any difficulties then first contact the network Cust serv your moving from for help and then O2.

Try re booting your phone to help the connection.
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92908 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It can take anything from a couple of days to a week in normal circumstances. Were you not given a porting date?

The first sign you know that it is happening is when the giffgaff sim loses network connection, then it's a matter of keep rebooting the phone with the new sim in until it shows network connection.

Message 3 of 15

jonsie
  • 92908 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I need to keep my giffgaff sim card in my phone for now? It was a payg sim card so I didn't think it would lose any sort of connection.
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
A porting date? I didn't manage to do it myself so the guru on the live chat did it for me.
Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 92908 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The giffgaff sim will lose connection as they will strip it of the number and it is then just an inactive unprovisioned card. Whilst it's still connected the port hasn't started.

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thank you slight_smile
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, did u give him the number u want to transfer+pac code+ temp o2 number?

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous yeah I gave them all of that.
Message 10 of 15