cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase in prices mid contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 has found an opportunity to sting new customers with another price rise and we’re calling for action.

O2 has announced a mid-contract price hike of 2.7% for its eight million pay-monthly customers, due to come into effect in March 2014. 

Unfortunately, Ofcom's new rules permit price rises for existing customers and new customers as long as they’re told about this at the point of sale. Now O2′s using this loophole to hike prices for new customers who signed after 23 January 2014, as O2 says it will warn them that inflation-matching price rises will hit them on a yearly basis.

Plus, since these hikes will be measured by the rate of RPI (retail prices index) you won’t even know how much you’ll end up paying. And those who join O2 after Ofcom’s rules take effect still won’t be able to leave their contracts without penalty. I was assured when I took my upgrade that there would be no ibcrease during the 2 years of my contract  O2 are now renaiging 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of discussions about that on here already.

I wasn't told about any price rise either if that helps. Upgraded before Jan too.

Message 2 of 14

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions
Already being discussed in detail at http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Increase-Prices-for-Pre-and-Post-23rd-January... and on a million and one other threads
Message 3 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149446 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
We're all non too happy about it but as we all agreed to this in the contract terms I'm not sure what action you are calling for exactly?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 has found an opportunity to sting new customers with another price rise and we’re calling for action.

I was assured when I took my upgrade that there would be no ibcrease during the 2 years of my contract  O2 are now renaiging 

What action do you suggest, this possibility was in your contract that applied when you signed up?

Nobody could have assured you there would be no increase.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

*Sigh*

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It has been said and proven on watchdog a couple of years ago when they did under filming that when staff were asked so it's x amount for 24 months and that stays the same that only 1 in 3 sales reps said no it may go up not all O2 but some were and that is deliberate dishonesty
Message 7 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It has been said and proven on watchdog a couple of years ago when they did under filming that when staff were asked so it's x amount for 24 months and that stays the same that only 1 in 3 sales reps said no it may go up not all O2 but some were and that is deliberate dishonesty

That's libel!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No this was at the time of the price rises last year I may have got the year wrong
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby

Isn't it time the price increase debate was limited to one thread?

I for one am getting bored with 80 email alerts every day on the same subject and I note some others such
as MI5 and Perksie feeling similar.

Time to take control? Free speech yes but there are limits. .....
Message 10 of 14