Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dongle with virus - can anyone help?

SilentAssassin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have two laptops running on 2 different O2 dongles - laptop2 was not running well (slow and struggling with a signal) whilst laptop1 was running reasonably well despite a low signal. I swapped the dongles between the two laptops having first uninstalled the originals - the end result being that, by the time I had returned the original dongles with the right laptop, laptop2 now runs far better and gets on the Internet relatively easily but the  dongle on laptop1 now runs slower but more importantly, shows a square black box instead of the normal O2 logo in a dark blue square, it connects on the dongle but shows the connection on screen a couple of minutes later and the black square eventually disappears and returns to a normal symbol. It is obvious that something is not right but a defrag with ccleaner, Kaspersky security installed and other IE / Microsoft protection hasn't removed it. I'm lucky, it does still work but has anyone else experienced this type of issue?? All assistance greatly appreciated - with thanks!! 

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've not experienced such issues but to be honest even the security suites you have listed will not be able to deal with every security risk.

It also may not be a virus and instead be a number of factors within your laptops settings.

The issue may just rectify itself due to some compatibility issue and if the dongle is working, with the connection being stable I would just monitor it.

You could try any number free cleaners to see if any issue exists or in the extreme wipe your hard drive, and re set up the operating system, but you must be aware on how to re install the software/drivers etc. This would be the very very last resort.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've not experienced such issues but to be honest even the security suites you have listed will not be able to deal with every security risk.

It also may not be a virus and instead be a number of factors within your laptops settings.

The issue may just rectify itself due to some compatibility issue and if the dongle is working, with the connection being stable I would just monitor it.

You could try any number free cleaners to see if any issue exists or in the extreme wipe your hard drive, and re set up the operating system, but you must be aware on how to re install the software/drivers etc. This would be the very very last resort.

Message 2 of 2