Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 can't unlock Huawei Pocket Hotspot 4G

Tom-SG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So this is my elderly grandmother's dongle - and after she was cut off from the internet twice during lockdown V1 (and we were shouted at by an O2 rep trying to sort it) I've been desperate to move her away from O2. Once her contracted ended, I bought her another data plan - but of course the device is locked to the O2 network - so I asked for the unlatching code to her Huawei Pocket Hotspot 4G 2017.

O2 have done nothing but give us the runaround.

Sending the wrong code. (8 digits, when it's meant to be 16).

Then accusing us of entering the code wrong.

Telling me they'd send the right one in seven days.

Then when no code arrived, telling me it would be 10 more days.

Then telling me they didn't have the code and would have to request it from the manufacturer.

I made a complaint and was told to wait 7 more days for the code (which ofcourse never arrived).

Over a month has passed since all this started and we've now used Resolver to make a more formal complaint. Someone from O2 responded quickly - but just reiterated what we've already been told.

• That it's not their problem.
  • That we're to wait indefinitely for the unlatching code.

They then suggested we go pay to have it fixed ourselves on the High Street. Can this be done? She lives quite remotely (no high streets around) and I'm worried about taking her dongle away, which will cut her off for the day - as she's housebound and it really is something of a life line for her. I also wouldn't know where to take it.

I really am shocked overall. I rarely deal with O2 as I've always renewed my contract through Carphone Warehouse and only once called them to change tarrifs (four years ago) and they were very nice. Having to talk with O2 on her behalf - i've been gobsmacked at their lack of customer service and I hate that I even have to say this but at times they've been outright rude.

She can't use the new Unlimited data plan I bought her and the only way this dongle works is if we continue with the very limited (and very expensive) plan that O2 provides. Citizens advice told me I could argue that that means the device isn't fit for purpose, but O2 just ignore this - they just don't seem to acknowledge that it's a problem that needs solving.

Can anyone help? I don't know what to do.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

cwmparc
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Google Huawei Pocket Hotspot 4G unlock
You will find instructions on what to do
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@Tom-5g

o2 is correct they have to wait for Huawei to provide the unlocking codes and this can take upto 28days to come back although it is usually a lot quicker.

It sounds like Huawei have provided the wrong unlock code to o2.

The Sales of Good and Services Act wont cover you as the device isn't faulty, and all o2 have to do in this regard is I'm afraid replace it with the same device.

I will tag @O2Kyle to see if he can offer you any further help.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

Tom-SG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks; I looked into this prior to writing.

Lots of sites just give 4 instructions, the last of which is along the lines of "then enter the 16 digit unlatching code from your provider. which I don't have.

Other sites promise to give you the unlatching code - i've tried serveral - the codes are always differnet and always 8 digits - not 16.

I've watched some videos on youtube suggesting I downloading a driver .exe to get around this - but these videos refer to other models of hotspot - and I'm a mac user and cannot mount .exe.

There are a few services on Ebay that promise to contact Huawei for £5 or so - but if O2 aren't getting a response, I'm not sure what help an ebay seller would be.

Message 4 of 4