Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Phone in USA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I wonder if anyone could tell me:

If I travel to USA, and want to give someone located in the USA my mobile number to call me, what prefix changes do I make?

Thanks

Alan

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Huntress
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, I believe you should give them 011 44 7??? ??? ???.

Life is just a game, the rules of which are only explained to us when the game is over.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Huntress
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, I believe you should give them 011 44 7??? ??? ???.

Life is just a game, the rules of which are only explained to us when the game is over.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for that, that seemd more likely, I phoned O2 and they siad just tell folk +44, but they didn;t believe me when I said that wouldn;t work!

Thanks for that

Alan

slight_smile

Message 3 of 14

Huntress
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

That would be correct if someone was calling you from the UK whilst you were in the USA.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb
Message 4 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

That is not correct @Huntress. If someone is calling from the UK , they do not need any code. +44 will work for someone within the US calling a UK mobile. Just remember @Anonymous that if someone in the US is calling you on your mobile, they are calling the UK to call you and will be charged long distance rates for that, as well as you being charged roaming charges to receive the call. You're much better off getting a local US sim if you're making and receiving calls within the US. Just make sure your phone is unlocked.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As Bambino has stated, all you need is 0044 or +44 and drop the first zero.
011 country code is the Bahamas !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Actually, @MI5, you can use 01144 to call the UK from the US. It's the alternative to +44 if you're calling from a land line and don't have the + feature on your phone. After you use either code you leave off the first zero of the UK number.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that information.

I just need to provide the driver picking us up fro the airport a contact number, in the event we can't find each other.

I guess it would be better to use hotel wifi and use an app (like facebook phone) to contact friends etc.

Thanks again got info

slight_smile

Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And as you are from the US @Bambino who could argue with your info? Not me and that's for sure wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Yes @Anonymous, Facebook phone or Skype, but you would need to buy credit to call unless your friends have either app and you use WiFi. Buying credit on those apps is much less expensive than using your UK mobile in the US to make calls. If you do, you will return to a very high, and I'm sure, very unwanted bill.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14