Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade pricing

Longstanding
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've just come to the end of my contract - previously through carphone warehouse and the upgrade options on offer made me choke. 36 month contracts, ridiculous prices, poor data offering when the offers to new customers online at a fraction of the cost. £62 vs £37 per month on a like for like basis, same phone everything identical. Phoned up and their "hands were tied". Come on O2 - loyal customer for 15+ years here about to be lost. Leaves a very bitter taste - short sighted way of operating. Thumbs down. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom around how to address or is it time to move on?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Longstanding 

There are no special deals for new customers at all. Everyone can get the same.

Mobile phones direct are still offering O2 contracts at cheaper prices as they are just a reseller with no network overheads, so you could try them first?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Longstanding
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5. It was through Affordable Mobiles. If I took out the new O2 contract that way, I assume I lose my number though? Is there anyway to take out a new O2 contract and then still get to keep my current number? Not keen to leave - reception is good here etc but price difference to those on the upgrade options are is just too big. Cant believe they wont match the pricing they have available in the market!
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Longstanding 

Just call O2 once you have the new contract and they will migrate your number for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Affordable mobiles also offer o2 contracts, as do buymobiles.net.
If you use them then they sometimes offer an upgrade option, or you simply take it as a new contract.
When it turns up, phone customer services and ask them to move your number across from the old contract to the new one.
This closes the old contract.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
New contracts will be cheaper than upgrades as the commission on new is bigger.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I checked out both those sites above (looking at sim only out of interest) Neither of them or Mobiles Direct do simo with O2. slight_frown

I know the op doesn't want one but as I said... I checked for myself. Unusual.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Longstanding
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks all - was worried I would lose the number doing that.

MI5 - surely that works in the other direction though. No commission on renewal so matching the new price saves them a wedge of commission - so should be same or cheaper. Otherwise it just relies on people not looking about for a deal and making money at renewal on worse terms than new business........ dont worry, I know this is the case across most industries, frustrating none the less.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Agreed, but it's the way O2 choose to model their business.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9